Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

check engine light and no codes

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  sixty 
#1 ·
I just picked up an 03 f250 with the 6.0 and 169k miles. It drove fine on the test drive and only had one code which was a glow plug on cyl. 3. It had a bad oil leak at the back of the block so the first thing I did was reseal the hpop, welded the egr, new icp, ipr kit, and put in a high flow ppe oil cooler.

The truck runs GREAT but I have a cel that wont clear or show up on my innova scanner and my SCT livewire TS. Does it need to go to the dealer to pull the code or can I take it somewhere else with a better scanner than I have? I put a tune on it hoping that would clear the ecm but no luck.

The oil leak on the hpop cover is fixed but I still have more leaks so I have a dye kit on the way.

#2 ·
You'll need a scanner that can read Ford specific manufacture codes, or some call it enhanced codes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
Thanks lilpooh for the response. Thats what i found in doing some research. I.am looking into buying autoenginuity.

Update: I notice the CEL came on at the same time as the low fuel light came on. Filled the truck up with diesel and it turned off. We'll see if it comes back on in time.

#4 ·
So I noticed that as soon as my low fuel light came on so did the check engine light. This was suspicious so I decided to pull the cluster figuring it had been tampered with. When I pulled it, someone had jumpered the low fuel LED to the check engine led and cut the trace to the CEL!

Theres some shady people out there!!!! Funny thing is there were no CELs that needed to be fixed.

Took me about 15 minutes to fix with a soldering iron.

#5 ·
? maybe the previous owner had a few of these and was having issues with injector damage and employees running out of fuel?

so they did that to make it look like a bid deal to run low ???

it is the only thing I can remotely think of and still doesn't seem likely ??

#6 ·
That could explain it but I doubt the PO was that smart. Good idea though. I don't think it would be too difficult to tie an audible alarm Into the low fuel light to annoy drivers Into buying fuel.

I was more worried that someone that shady would have swapped out clusters or reprogrammed to drop the mileage.
Luckily when I pulled the lpop the wear was about what I would expect for 170k miles. The oasis report showed 90k miles in 2006 and the truck was bought in early 03.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.