Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sluggish with smoke

782 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hdjetmech 
#1 ·
So my 06 is acting very strange and I've been checking some other posts to try and narrow it down but I cant seem to find someone with my exact problem. The issue is my truck is blowing an excessive amount of black and sometimes blue smoke. The truck starts fine and idles correctly but once I step on the pedal it billows smoke and basically goes no where. Its very sluggish till it hits about 1500+ rpms and then drives normal. But every time I come to a stop or try to accelerate hard I have no power. My rpms jump and I fill the intersection with smoke but I don't move. It hasn't thrown any codes or given me any kind of warning sign but I'm lost as to what this can be. Any idea?

Thanks

#3 ·
Mine is doing the same, no CEL but every once in a while will get P-0284. This only happens after reaching normal operating temp. Starts and idles fine when cold. Starts fine when hot. ICP, IPR, FICM voltage normal. It will stumble at idle at a stop light. Happens only for a second, once I take off I get black smoke. Just finished studs, and resealing everything. I suspect an electrical issue as it is really intermittent. Going to swap #2 and #8 this weekend to isolate an injector or harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.