Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel rail plugs not put in by Machine shop

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  JorgeCanek 
#1 ·
Just installed gaskets and studs in my 6.0, after trying to crank for about 45 seconds total crank time I gave up for the night out of respect for the neighbors. I understand it takes a lot of cranking after a complete teardown...

So long story short I had to get NEW heads because of exhaust cracks around the seats.. I am wondering if the machine shop forgot to put the plugs in the back of the heads for the fuel rails... only reason im not sure is that when I first turned the key on I had a line loose so diesel got everywhere..:doh: so I will be verifying when I get home after work. It hit me like a brick wall while I was lying in bed last night, as im not a lucky guy and the chances of me putting the heads on correctly, if the plugs were installed, is slim to none.

If they did anyone know of a part number for the plugs.. or if it would be advisable to find two bolts with copper washers to thread in the holes..

Or am I pretty much stuck until next week as the machine shop is closed... For the life of me I cannot find any info on this.

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
yea I need batterys mine are motocraft 2011s
I have them on auto charger since 11pm last night

need to verify icp voltage and make sure there are plugs in the rear of heads

#5 ·
got low pressure according to dummy gauge...

ficm is good and clicked in

like you said I may not have cranked it enough..

but I cant recall ever seeing the plug for the fuel rail or even checking for one... so used to working on gas engines and not enough experience with diesel engines.. it just totally slipped my mind. hopefully he put them in.. and I got lucky and put the heads on correctly

#7 ·
Got her fired up. Got lucky and put the heads on the right way.

Took another solid 2 mins of cranking... then it had a long crank about 7 secs. For the next three times I started it. Then I drove it and it fired right up.

Thanks for the help man

#8 ·
no sweat! It's a bit disconcerting the first time you get one back together and it seems to NEVER start! LOL

You just gotta keep sawing on it and it'll usually come to life. You may have a few extended cranks until all the air is worked out. Glad you got it fired up, there's nothing sweeter than the sound of that 6.0 when it finally BOOMS back to life after being down!

#9 ·
In order to avoid this, you should just remove the ICP, tell someone to crank it until a blast of oil comes out, put the ICP back, and drive for 20 miles, it will take you about 10 seconds of cranking, maybe 20.

If you just crank and crank and keep cranking, your starter will go bad, and the plungers on the injectors will fail, due to no lubrication when you are commanding them to move. That's when stiction comes and so so so so....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.