Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Front crankshaft oil seal

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JorgeCanek 
#1 ·
Anybody replaced their oil seal. Mines leaking and I figured this would be a good place to start since the drips are falling from this general location. Haynes repair Manuel shows just remove the crankshaft pully and voila. Is that basically all their is to it or is it going to be a act of congress.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
It is almost that easy. That is actually the low pressure oil pump behind the harmonic balencer. Possible leak points besides seal are pump to cover gasket and the oil pressure regulator.

#1 Do not panic you did not loose the big crank bolt, it never had one. Hole is in the shaft but it was never threaded.

#2 The bolt pattern on the balencer is a little wider than on a gasser and uses a special puller.
However if you have a cheap puller like from AZ you can take a dremel and lengthen the slots a little. Don't get crazy they only need a few mm removed.

This can all be done without removeing anything but most people remove the radiator for ease of access and to protect the radiator.

#4 ·
Front oil seal

It is very likely that the oil seal you order will come with a speedy sleeve to go on the shaft. A company by the name Freedom Racing sells a seal installation tool that installs the sleeve and the seal at the same time. I would be very careful if the seal fails you will loose all your oil pressure. So don't cut corners it could get expensive. The front harmonic balancer will come right off no puller needed.

#5 ·
I would recommend you also to remove the LPOP, and check it for debris or scratches while you are there.

If it has any scratches, change the oil and the LPOP.

#7 ·
Indeed, they do.

But the problem is the debris that comes from YOUR engine, that's the material that rubs against the covers.

I hope you don't get any scratches on them. :)

#9 ·
Here at Mexico, the kit from Navistar is about 200usd, give or take.

It also has the front crankshaft seal, the seal sleeve, and the LPO regulator

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.