Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

coolant in oil an blowin' externaly also

993 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dannyboy950 
#1 ·
So....... just got done doing a 6.0 headgasket job, arp studs an all (no bulletproof kit).....test drove it 50+ miles ran out fine. Customer took it, got maybe 40 miles and it blew black smoke an died, got it back to the the shop an the driver side front corner of the engine is coated w/ oil, an inside the oil filter housing looks like a milkshake. Wondering if the oil cooler could have popped, or if anyone has any suggestions as to what to check??

TYVM in advance for any advice

#4 ·
Here's some info for Y'all so take heed ...... Got to work this mornin' , tore down the powerplant to see if i could find the leak, couldnt find a damn thing wrong with the R&R. Got on the phone with "Bulletproof" and explained my problem and symptoms (including coolant in oil but not oil in coolant, found after tearing down) and the guy on the phone tells me to pull the valve cover off and see if a quelch plug *freeze plug* popped out in the head....... HOLY JUMPED UP JESUS!!! there it was sittin' in the head plain as day!!!

Come to find out the aftermarket maker had borked up the specs on the hole size ........so I'm installing a new head w/ epoxy'd plugs *the defective head had red locktight on the plugs* and the place that sold me the heads is covering the cost of redoing the job.

Anyhow be aware, there are defective heads out there, and if yer getting a one way blowout (coolant to oil) , this could be the cause

P.S. thanks for the advice on what to look for :)

#7 ·
1 - Yeah, Bulletproof is a topnotch Co. that goes above and beyond!

2 - these were bare factory cast heads, and this morning, the place that sold us the heads called and told us that the Co. (sorry didnt get the name) thats making the heads is retooling because they F'd up and the quelch plug holes are machined to the wrong spec's ....... :eek:mg: . Oh and the place we get the heads from has 10 pallets of them , and 77 trucks on the road w/ those heads on?!?!?!?!?!?

Our fix ... Epoxy the quelch plugs in and let sit over the weekend * customer cant affor the difference in cost for Ford factory heads* redo'ing the whole job at no cost to customer *Epoxy was/is his choice*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.