Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No start, Stumpped!!!!

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jpott62 
#1 ·
NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so driving down the road and truck acts like it starved for fuel and shut off. Towed home plugged up the scanner, no codes. So, opened data stream and everything is perfect, fuel 57psi, ipr, icp good, ficm 48.7vdc, so I get on here and search and search for days. STUMPED!! Now I know its not good but if you spray silicone for a little start jump it will fire right up and run for a few mins and then cut back off with no start until you do it again. Couple of friends are saying HPOP but the icp wouldnt be getting to 585 psi if the HPOP was bad right? or wrong? Any ideas?

#2 ·
Did you check the fuel pressure under load? The Static fuel pressure (at idle) is often misleading. You need to take the truck on the road and give it full throttle to monitor the actual fuel pressure under load (dynamic). If the pressure under load drops below 45 psi you need to check in a few places for blockage. First check your fuel filters, upper and lower. Aslo check you fuel pressure regulator for clogging or air buildup. Then check your fuel pump, inside the pickup housing are two screens that can get clogged up and cause severely low fuel pressure underload. This could be the problem.

#3 ·
He can't even move the truck out of the spot, the truck dies right away.

IPR problem??

Take the IPR out, take out the screen and pour some gas in the center of the IPR, if it comes out, your IPR is bad, if not, then your IPR is perfectly sealing the HPO

#4 ·
New fuel filters.(oem, not aftermarket) regulator is good and clean. where are those screens located? In the plastic housing right?I will try ipr tonight. Am I right as far as the HPOP goes though?

#5 ·
Take out the IPR, it's in the HPOP.

You have to test everything in order to be sure of what you are doing.

It also sounds as a HPOP problem, because of the engine running for a while and then dying

#6 ·
ok, so If the IPR is good then its the HPOP? Pretty mechanically inclined and knowledgable of these motors some, but this one has me stumpped

#7 ·
He can't even move the truck out of the spot, the truck dies right away.

IPR problem??

It's possible, watch and see what you have for ICP.
But from my experience when they start and stall it's either out of engine oil or a injector is leaking compression into the fuel system. You can check for that by disconnecting the fuel pump, then remove the fuel filter, and with the fuel bowl full of fuel have somebody crank the engine over and watch for bubbles in the fuel.

#8 ·
If ICP is greater than 500 psi, you FICM works, you have fuel pressure and fuel getting to the engine, you have sync, and you have glow-plugs, it will start.

If you have one injector not working, it will start. If you have 2 not working it will probably start, but run rough.

If you have compression gas in your fuel line it will probably quit. Given you did not post the values to see what may be happening, I would suggest the balloon test.

#9 ·
Does your ICP fall of before it quits? If not I agree with the fuel issue. You will have great fuel pressure even though the engine quits due to the air in the fuel system pushing the fuel out of the rails. Pull lines off at the filter housing tape a balloon to each one and crank on it till one fills up with air, figure out which side the air is from and start pulling glow plugs and cranking until it doesn't fill the balloon and that's the bad injector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.