Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

BLACK FILM/DEPOSIT ON FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR CHECK VALVE

843 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dannyboy950 
#1 · (Edited)
04 6.0
i was updating to the "blue spring" in the fuel pressure relief check valve and when i opened it up, there was a heavy black "film/deposit" all over the brass check valve and it was stuck in the seat, it was pure black and the orfice looked to be pretty plugged up with the same stuff. the oring that seals the check valve seat was baked pretty hard.
is it possible to get compression gases into the fuel system?
this truck always gets fuel from a gas station, never from 5 gal buckets or anything like that.
i ran across something similiar on a Claus corn harvester that actually had an algae growing in the diesel fuel that was caused by the type of poly whatever the fuel tank was made of.
if it is algea, how is this treated and cured on a Ford p/u.
im thinking about running a 1/2 gal of ATF in a full tank of fuel for the detergent properties.
no issues with dirty fuel filters either.

scratching my head on this one

all comments welcome

See less See more
#3 ·
This is commonaly called alge but is actually a form of bacteria. It is a living continuealy growing organism. This stuff is pervasive a gal of contaminated diesel mixed in a 50,000 gal tank left untreated for a long enough period of time it will contaminate every drop of fuel in that tank and the tank itself. It will adhere to the walls like a coat of paint and just keeps growing unless killed. It is also hard to kill.

It doesn't really matter what the tank is made of it will grow in anything even a glass jar. I once forgot a quart sample of contaminated fuel on a shelf for 3 years.
It started out with a clump about the size of a quarter. When I found the jar again it was completely full of the stuff.
The stuff likes to grow in bulk storage tanks that the contents are left undisturbed for long periods of time. So you probably filled up at some station that had some contaminated fuel.

The algeside used to be available from WWGrainger or Drago Industrial supply

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.