Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

High oil temps after new oil cooler

2K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  Zak77 
#1 ·
I recently had a new oil cooler, EGR delete, new HPOP, thermostat and IPR valve installed. Excursion (2003) runs very well but this past weekend we took a 600 mile round trip and I noticed my oil temps were a bit high.

Before all the work was done, my ECT was stay at 178.8 pretty much all the time. Rarely moved. My EOT would go between 200 and 225. Towing it would stay at 230-235 on the highway. After the new stuff was installed, my coolant pretty much always stays at exactly 190.4. It does not move once it's warm. Does not matter if it's around town or doing 80 down the highway. My oil temps though are always on the move. 45-50 they sit at 198ish. Highway doing 75-80 they are 212-214.

I have an amazon blue tooth ODBII scanner connected to the Torque app. Think the app could be reading the temps wrong? What could I also look for to see if in fact my oil temp is that far above my coolant temp? It has me a bit worried as I bought this Ex to tow my 8000lb travel trailer and don''t want to blow the engine while we're out with the family.

#2 ·
did the shop flush before the oil cooler change? you may be able to do a reverse flush to salvage your cooler. Do you have a coolant filter? IPR makes a great inline (non-bypass) that most will say is the best on the market, but i was amazed at how much junk was caught by my bypass coolant filter.

A fresh oil cooler should yield deltas around 3-5* on flat ground unloaded at 60mph.

could you fill in the details about your truck on your sig?

thanks!

#3 ·
I did a flush before I brought it over. Did a restore and restore+ but I might not have done the greatest job as I had a hell of a time getting the truck to temp with the thermostat removed. I could not get the coolant temp to get over 150 for long. I had to sit in the driveway and get it up to 2500 rpm's for half an hour to 45 minutes. Driving it, as it was a cold day, could not get the temps up.

Can most shops do a reverse flow flush? Hate the thought of dumping out all that good coolant but I hate the thought even more of putting in a new oil cooler.

It does have a sinister coolant filter kit, but it was leaking at the filter itself so I turned it off and had forgotten about it. I'll call up my shop and see if they can do a reverse flush and get that cooler flushed out.

#5 ·
Thanks. When i flushed out my system before I had them install the cooler I did the Restore and restore+ flushes but did not reverse. Maybe I'll do it all over again and backflush as well. Better to dump the new, expensive coolant than to replace that stupid oil cooler again. And ordering some of those valves to install in the coolant drain plugs is a great idea. I did not drain from the passenger side as I did not feel like removing the starter.

I called a few local shops and no one reverse flushes the radiators. One shop will, but he's about 45 minutes away and has no experience with the 6.0L's.

#7 ·
oh, and you can probably have your radiator boiled out to remove the fish food scale from inside it..

#9 ·
yea, i would. If you just got it back and are seeing that, the stuff probably hasn't settled in too deeply yet and should flush out.

#13 ·
the back flush really only flushes the egr cooler, oil cooler and heater hoses it think. but if you're gonna flush it all out, you can certainly drain it all.

#14 ·
Thanks. Love how everything is so hard to get to. Took a bit to figure iut how to get the plate off to insert the hose for backwashing. I just removed the drivers side block plug and lower rad hose. Plus I cleaned out the degas bottle a bit. I let it backflush for about 45 minutes.

#15 ·
Post flush the EOT is running around 200 driving on back roads with ECT at 190. Still a bit high IMO. I called Sinister, as it was their EGR delete/Oil Cooler kit and they have amazing service. Tech spoke to me for a bit and they are sending me another oil cooler with expedited shipping. Should have it this week.

Also since my Sinister coolant filter is leaking, they are sending out another block. Great company.

Now the question is do I want to pay to have the oil cooler put in AGAIN or do it myself this time. I've put in cams, headers, new suspensions on my vette and other cars but this 6.0 is not the easiest to work on. But since everything was just recently removed, at least all the bolts are not rusted on now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.