Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Truck got pretty hot now puffs black smoke on acceleration from stop

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  They call me Pete 
#1 ·
On my way home Saturday heard my fan come on and looked at temp gauge and was at the top of the "normal zone". Got home to find coolant gone from degas bottle. Long story short found out my bottle has a crack in it. Now it puffs black smoke when starting off from a stop sign if I put my foot into it a bit. Truck runs fine otherwise. Any ideas ?

#7 ·
Pull your egr valve out and take a look in the intake. Tell us what you got...:eek:hnoes:

#6 ·
if you overheated it from lack of coolant, there's a multitude of problems you could be facing. If you have an egr, you could have roasted the cooler and cracked the tubes. If you really got it hot, you could have warped the heads/cracked them and your HG's are past their prime.

My wife thinks i'm stupid when i run my monitor with the trailer behind me, but I don't like the thought of breaking something because i wasn't watching my temps. the torque app may not be as comprehensive as I'd like, but I would spend that $25 again in a heartbeat

#8 ·
I don't think it got "to hot" only took a gallon of antifreeze/distilled water mix. If I recall whole system holds 7 or 8 gallons. Now having it not pressurized is another issue. Never went into limp mode so worst case I'm hoping for is egr failed. Drove it the next day with only the "super soot" at take off from stop sign. Only topped off once that day and thats when I discovered hole in tank. :dunno:

#10 ·
Talked to the diesel shop I deal with and he said " sounds like your egr went bad" but this was just over the phone. $2300 for delete, new oil cooler and all fluid/gaskets. I would tackle this job but hate to do it and find out its a head gasket or warped head. I saw BPD bubble test for help determining if it's egr or head. Anyone have luck with this method ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.