Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ARP Studs, Head Gaske Replacement, Truck Chugs but No Start

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  vashaman01 
#1 ·
I just finishing installing head gaskets and arp studs on an 06 F250 this evening. I replaced all the injector O-rings, cup washers and all other gaskets while I was in there. I have a snap on modis scanner. So I go to start the truck and it seems like its building good oil pressure on the scanner and the icp duty cycle is at 85%. Ok when I first went the to start the truck, I cranked for about 1.5 mins and truck started for about 4 secs and died. I went to try to crank the truck again, and when the icp oil pressure gets to 800psi, the truck will chug as if its trying to start and the rpm guage will bounce between 400-500 rpms. Once I let off the starter it'll die. I notice once the truck tries to start I notice the duty cycle of the icp drop off too. I definitely know something going on somewhere, probably real stupid. I swap ficm's from a good know truck, and still does the same thing. If I shoot starting fluid in it, it'll run for a few sec's and die. I need some help here. I really appricate all your suggestions. :)

#2 ·
Sometimes it takes a while for your oil system to completely fill up. Crank it on and off so you don't burn your starter up and don't use starting fluid, you can burn up your injectors. If after 10-15 minutes of actual cranking it doesn't start, then look at other things.
It may sound stupid but make sure you have fuel in it. I had a customer who bought an engine but couldn't get it started for a week. He called every day till he figured out his tank was empty.

#3 ·
It takes a while to start after a head job...

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID!!!

This is not a gas engine!

Do what Ashville said, be patient, and don't kill the starter.

Also, you should put the batteries on a charger while doing this to keep them healthy.

#5 ·
It happens way more often that you know...

Did you toque'd the injectors? You might have a compression leak causing the engine to start and stop.

#6 ·
Did you cycle the fuel pump a min. of 6 times after you put the whole thing together? When you take the diesel out of the lines and there's nothing left in there you need to let the fuel pump go through at least 6 cycles before trying to start the engine to let enough fuel pressure build up in the lines. I just did my head gaskets and had the same problem until figuring it out. Basically when you turn the key and hear the injector clatter and fuel pump, it should last for 30 seconds per cycle. Then you need to turn you key into the off position and then back on to let the fuel pump cycle for a whole 30 seconds again. Do this 6 times to fill the lines and see if that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.