Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

sputtering...

980 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  horatio_hann17 
#1 ·
I have a sct livewire and innovative ficm tune. lately i noticed that my truck has been sputtering/shaking at 45-55mph. i put it into tow/haul and the sputtering/shaking goes away. could the transmission be slipping sense it seems to be doing this right at the shift point?

Also when I am at a dead stop and press the gas a ton of black smoke comes out but the truck only slowly crawls forward. this has just started yesterday. It feels like i'm dumping a ton of fuel in the engine but not going anywhere. I took out the air filter and cleaned it and tried a new filter. are my injectors going bad? no cel light has been turned on. I have even scanned the computer and it didn't find anything.

has anyone experienced anything like this?

#2 ·
I get the same type of sputtering at about 50 mph. Like the engine isn't getting enough fuel. I had this same problem a few times before. Once was low oil, since the injectors use the hpop system. Replaced the oil with synthetic and some additive and was good as new. The next time I had a no start issue and replaced the ficm with a preprogrammed one. Started right up. It stuttered a lot before finally one day it just shut down. I swapped it out again but I think I got a bad part because it worked for a little bit and started all over. I know the batteries are good though. I'm getting another one tomorrow because my volts are down on the new one. But mine never threw any codes for any of the times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.