Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help - oil leak!

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Qholic 
#1 ·
Recently did oil cooler / EGR cooler. Truck runs perfect, but now have an oil leak coming from the top of the motor. Seems to be coming from the front left side of the oil cooler. What would make it leak all of a sudden when it hasn't leaked a drop in over 500 miles? I took my time, the gasket was seated correctly and all the bolts were torqued to factory specs - and double checked. Anything I am missing?

#3 ·
Did you use a Dorman oil cooler? Some of the Dormans were shipped with substandard gaskets.

Reactions: ghuds
#4 ·
Where did you get the cooler, what brand was is, and how much oil are we talking? I did an oil cooler on a truck last year and the supplier shipped me a cracked oil cooler. It looked fine to me, but when I cranked the truck back up it was leaking a substantial amount of oil from the same spot you're describing.

Reactions: ghuds
#5 ·
Did you correctly position the intake gaskets so the locating tabs are facing up and toward the inside? I have seen incorrectly installed intake gaskets cause a boost leak which will in turn leak oil into the valley.

I have also been guilty of accidentally pinching the oil filter base o-ring which will also cause a leak.

#6 ·
After tearing it down again, and buying a OEM Ford gasket, the supplied gasket was not as thick as the Ford one. The Ford gasket was also ribbed on both sides, the supplied one was only ribbed on the case side. I got the kit from JGC Parts (through Ebay) the cooler is called a ADT-60-OC. Don't know who it's made by.

Intake gaskets were correct and I inspected to oil cooler case for cracks and warpage - it was fine. I think the gasket was crappy. With one less mount bolt on the drivers side of the cooler case I would assume if it wasn't totally sealed that this would be the area that would leak.

After putting everything back together the truck wouldn't start. Long story short, the dealer says the glow plug harness needs to be replaced - no power to glow plugs. I am supposed to get the truck back today so we'll see what happens. I'm not 100% sure I believe them.

#7 ·
The Oil Cooler (ADT-60-OC) you purchased through JGC parts is manufactured by Alpha Dog Tuning. It's a high flow oil cooler. I know this because I bought the same one that came in a kit with bullet-proof style EGR cooler.

That oil cooler is actually an exact duplicate of the IPR high flow cooler. While IPR stopped selling it directly from their website, Vince has been continually selling them on eBay. I'm pretty sure the ADT unit is the same oil cooler.

I have this unit in my truck and will give you a heads up on what you'll see if you're running a monitor like a Scangauge II, EDGE, etc. Due to its high flow design, it's been made to theoretically prevent getting clogged up. The trade off is that you will not be able to use the 15 degree delta to reference to troubleshoot and determine if it's shot. I've been running it for several weeks and my ECT stays at 188 while EOT will climb to 210 - 217 when running freeway speeds. Under load (I have a 1986 Shelton Vacatoneer 10' cab-over camper and pulling a 6'x14' utility trailer with a UTV and quad on it) I will see ECT 192 and EOT 235 when running on the freeway and ECT 210 EOT 245 when hitting a steep grade.

So...just be aware that is what you'll be seeing. It's common and to be expected with this unit. I haven't had any leaks with mine, but per advise from other members, picked up an OEM oil cooler gasket kit when I did the install. Damn neart made the mistake of installing the intake gasket with the tab on the outside on the passenger side before we caught it and corrected it.

I know using this oil cooler is a bit of an experiment as there are lots of forums with guys that never used it bashing the product (and for various legitimate reasons) but I haven't had any issues with it so far. I know it's a bit early in the game to make that claim, but I figured "what the hell, might as well see how it does since I already dropped money on it." The EGR cooler, on the other hand, is top notch. Nice welds. Can't go wrong with it.

#8 ·
I read about the higher than normal EOT before I bought the kit. I ran it for over three weeks before it started leaking and never saw more than a 17 deg. difference. The only thing I towed was a two place trailer and two sleds though. I mainly use the truck for work. Hoprfully the Ford gasket seals it up!

#9 ·
Get the OEM cooler a 35 degree delta is unacceptable and at 245 degrees the engine will defuel and go into limp mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.