Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 f250 dies, but restarts

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  seanmilnes 
#1 ·
I apologize if this a repeat topic, new to the forum. please redirect if necessary.

My 03 6.0 suddenly dies, like its been shut off at the ignition. I recently had the ficm replaced after massive power loss issues. there was one stall while the power loss was happening, but it was attributed to the ficm issue. no more power issues, however the stalling is now happening. after a fill up when the truck was warm it stalled at a stop and started right back up and then repeated the process. i drove it home while it kept stalling and figured out i could keep it running if i revved it above 1000 rpm. it will die and i can put it in neutral and restart immediately. there was only one instance of no start for 30 seconds. my check engine light is on and the codes being thrown are the csp and ckp sensors. local shop suggested changing those sensors first. i know they are often thrown after a long crank, but am concerned they are problems and being shrugged off. any suggestions? i was also thinking stc fitting on the hpop or a wiring harness issue. open to any and all suggestions! thanks!

#5 ·
update- while draining the water separator i noticed the fuel heater and fuel pump power were both unplugged. i can only assume this means i would have dying issues because there was no fuel going to the engine? i did have trouble getting the fuel heater plugged back in. once i did there was some dying issues like it was choking but i could bring it back with a rev and now its not having any issues. was this my issue?

pardon the seemingly stupid questions. i am new to diesel and, truthfully, new to even being interested in learning about and diagnosing issues. i bought this truck because i fell in love with it and wanted to know everything i could. i truly appreciate all help!

#7 ·
update- ran the truck after dumping the water separator. once at running temp it died. luckily i was rolling up to my house. started it and as soon as i gave it gas it died. kept turning it over and would sputter and catch then die. sometimes idle briefly then die. giving it gas killed it too. i also noticed a buzzing from the right rear corner of the engine. i believe its right above the hpop. i have new fuel filters and a new ficm. i recently cleaned the egr valve as well. it was sooty but not stuck. theres no check engine light. i havent noticed any sort of white smoke either. is there anything else i can check for? something in the coolant maybe?

#8 ·
Do you have any way to check ICP? Im curious how the hell the thing even ran with the fuel pump unplugged

#9 ·
the fuel pump was sitting with a loose connection, but that didnt solve the issue anyhow so i guess that wasnt a problem (yet). i dont have anyway to check the icp. i guess it just needs to go back in. especially if its an issue related to the hpop. i believe everything i need to get to is buried on the 03? and i have no garage or even driveway right now.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.