Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dead In The Water

843 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  raptorfever660 
#1 ·
So I am going to start by saying I have got tons of help and advice from this forum. I bought my truck 4 years ago without ever looking into the 6.0 and wish at times I would have. I grew up around people having older fords and listened to how they always ran for ever. Needless to say I am finding out that the 6.0 is not that type of engine.

Last week I was traveling from Mattawan, MI to Indianapolis, IN. I was just south of Peru, IN when my truck just died going down the highway. It had done this before about 3 months prior and I thought I might have just not have the ignition turned all the way (LOL). So I stopped on the side of the road and done what 99% of people would do. I checked all my gauges (STC Livewire TS, Pillar Mounted, and the stock ones) Everything seemed to be in its normal area. Coolant was 201, Oil was 209. I shut the key off and waited a few seconds and tried to start it. It cranked but would not fire. I got out and opened the hood and didn't see anything leaking, so I walked to the passenger side to grab my safety triangles when I seen this puddle of oil. I proceeded to put the triangles out and think of where it could be coming from. (I am a large and in charge man who doesn't fit well under my running boards). After calling a tow truck I was searching google like a mad man trying to find some answers but was coming up short. My insurance company would only tow me to the closest FORD STEALERSHIP which was in Kokomo, IN. I got there around 1715 and the shop closes at 1700. I spent the night searching the net trying to find out where this oil could be coming from. I started checking everything I could think of under the hood. Pulled the dipstick and it was about a qt low, popped the coolant cab and seen something floating in the reservoir. After a closer look it was fuel I was seeing. I called a buddy back home (500 miles) and got him on his way to load up my truck and bring me home.

Well today I drained the coolant and this is what it looks like.

Drained into a bucket

Drained into a bucket 2

Sample skimmed from bucket

Sample skimmed from bucket 2

Sample skimmed from bucket 3

Now if this was not enough. I was looking to see where the oil came from, only to find the rear engine cover to be broke and pushed out above the starter. From what I have read this is do the HPOP going out and the shaft smacking the cover. Now just to hope there is no damage to the branch tube.

Right now I am looking at buy 2 reman heads and putting on it. This truck has 162000 on it and I use this to pull a 7600lb trailer anywhere from 200 - 1000 miles a week. Not to mention it getting used when I am home to pull our 21' boat (4500lb aprox)

From what I have stated what are your guys advice? I am going to do a coolant pressure test to just make sure I don't have a cracked cylinder cup. I know it is a long shot for it to being something that simple but I guy can wish.

My parts list is as follows;
EGR Delete
New Oil Cooler
New HPOP
New Head Gaskets
ARP Head Studs
2 Reman Cylinder Heads
Used Rear Engine Cover
Clean and Lube Turbo

Also what would be the best way to flush the coolant system? This fuel could have only been in the system for around 2 hours max. It was not in there long enough to over pressurize the reservoir. So I am guessing then the HPOP when the rest happened.

I am going to be doing this all with the cab on so any tips would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

This is how far I have got into it so far. Only been working on it for about 20 min

See less See more
#2 ·
That sure looks like oil in your coolant. This is probably unrelated to your other problem, but just happened to become noticed as you finally had a good look at the truck. More than likely the oil cooler is ruptured.

The STC letting go is more than likely the cause of the no-start condition and the rear cover damage.

You could get off relatively easy if you only need to replace the rear cover (new rear crank seal as well), STC and oil cooler. Unless you know more than you typed, all the other work you mentioned is nice to do, not must do, especially the reman heads.

#3 ·
I thought it looked like fuel but I have never seen either in coolant. I come from a racing family and have only seen fuel in oil and water in oil. This is all pretty new to me. I am trying to figure out a way to determine if it is oil or fuel. Would hate to go through all the work to find out that there is still fuel in the coolant. Any idea's how to determine if it is oil or fuel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.