Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Advice

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  AshevilleEngine.com 
#1 · (Edited)
Something broken internally???????

First off I am getting my information from a 3d party because I am not in the country right now.

My 07 6.0 was being driven by my wife and she said it was making a ticking noise and then just died. My neighbor towed it back to my house and looked around under the hood. BTW he is a mechanic but not a diesel guy. his diagnosis is.

"The diagnosis is not good. From everything I could tell it sounds like something inside the engine broke loose. The engine is not seized (I manually turned it from the crankshaft pulley), but when you try to start it, it sounds like something is jammed up inside. I don't think you broke a piston: maybe just dropped a valve. I don't think it's flywheel or transmission related because when I do get it to crank, I get a partial revolution and then a solid thump as the engine stops. Whatever it is, it's keeping the engine from spinning.

There are no oil leak's; there's still oil and coolant in the correct places (not mixed). Nothing bolted on to the engine has come loose (that I can tell). Both batteries are fully charged. No engine codes. Starter bolted on solidly: no grinding or missing when engaging."

Thoughts?

Thank you

See less See more
#5 ·
UPDATE: It wont turn all the way over. It stops part way through the revolution.

OOOPSIE

Should I buy a short block?

Rebuild kit?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you

#6 ·
Drain the oil and see what it tools like...also check oil filter. Have you pulled the inspection plate on trans to look at flywheel?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Before buying a block pull the glow plugs and make shure it is not just hydrolocking.
If it is internal engine you should find metal shaveings or dust in the oil filter so check the filter cut it open and check in the paper pleats.

As preveiously stated check flex plate and tranny for problems.

#9 ·
Flex plate and TQ are G2G. I will see whats in my oil and oil filter.

Never thought of the GP and hydrolocking.

Thanks

More to follow

#10 ·
I hate to sound negative but we reman engines and I hear from people with problems every day. Sounds like you lost a lifter which is real common in the 6.0's. When the lifter goes it usually takes out the camshaft. Drain the oil and check for debris. If you did lose a lifter, the needle bearings probably got into the low pressure pump which would have ruined the front cover so it lost oil pressure so the HPOP quit working which shut it down. You can get by with a short block but not iknowing how many miles are on your truck you may be better off buying a long block. For the extra $1900. you get reworked heads with a complete valve job, new guides and seals in them. Over 100K miles and I would say from experience that you should spend the extra.
If no debris, disregard everything that I said. Good luck!

#11 ·
I figured it was something along the lines of your explanation. My neighbor is a very good mechanic and he was thinking the same thing you told me when we were looking it over.

Backside on my truck. I bought it in 09 from a dealer in AK with 84K on it and it recently had a REMAN motor put in it. The truck now has 130K on it so the engine has somewhere between 40K and I dont know on it.

I know the guy that sold me the truck and he was not sure how long the engine had been in there but; it was very clean so my guess is "pretty recent" from my purchase.

Obviously I will investegate further when I get a minute and see what the problem actually is but I need to be prepared for the worst.

Driving to pick up a short block or performance engine wont be an issue.

Thank you for coming up on the net and giving me some insight.

#12 ·
Unfortunately there are a lot of shady builders who aren't really re-manufacturing the engines. They are reconditioning them which is a fancy name for taking it apart, fixing it, and putting it back together with used parts. That could be why it didn't last.
What do you mean driving to pick one up is not an issue? Your profile says you're in AK. Where are you now?

#15 ·
I was thinking the same thing but; I am prepared for the worst. As soon as I get a minute I will get under the hood and figure it out. Im sure it will be awesome.

#16 ·
Not sure what it sounds like when you try and start it it, but it turns over somewhat, and does it each time? Which would suggest eventual full revolution. Try removing the drive belt and starting it. It could one of the components (pump, alt, a/c) have seized. Removing the belt will eliminate any resistance. Can't hurt to try - and a very cheap test to boot. Good luck!

#17 ·
Update on my truck.

NO CODES nothing! (It was tested for a code from the start of this project)

Pulled all the glow plugs and it still will not rurn a full revolution. If the weather holds out this weeekend we will see what is in the rocker boxes.

Thoughts?

More to follow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.