Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

FICM ?

149K views 63 replies 30 participants last post by  rhode8pe 
#1 ·
What is a FICM and if it is bad will the truck still run? Got the truck back from shop having head studs done drove the truck for a weak ,shut truck off would not start back ,untell i run batt down put passenger side batt on charger after charging for about 10 min the truck started right up. Took truck back to shop thay told me that the FICM was showing codes.:dunno: THE TRUCK STARTS AND RUNS FINE .

#3 ·
THANKYOU for all input got to go my sons basket ball game. check back soon

#4 ·
A bad FICM can cause many problems, including no starts, rough running, low power, stalling, anything. If you had a battery die recently, its not uncommon to have lots of codes. When batteries die the pcm, ficm, and all other modules lose voltage, which could set codes. What is the specific code? If it starts and runs fine, clear the codes and run it. Make sure the batteries are ok. If the code comes back, or you expirence driveability issues, you have a problem.

Reactions: Bear 1
#5 ·
First off sorry to hear about your loss. I still need to replace my batt's i am taking the truck back on the15th to have the ficm replaced .

#6 ·
:bump::bump:

#8 ·
fuel injector control module is exactly that , here lately ive put on more ficm's than i have since 6.0 has been out , fopr what reason i dont know , the symptoms i have seen are skiiping and intermittent no start , running fine but check engine light on , the code generally seen is a p0611 internal ficm failure code , they even went on back order a couple weeks ago due to all the problems lately

here is my thinkin, ive only seen this concern on trucks with the latest inductive heating calibration,im thinkin the extra voltage sent thru the ficm is damaging the internal circuitry causing the failures due to the cold temp change over the last couple of months , my thinking may be wrong but it makes since to me

#9 ·
here is my thinkin, ive only seen this concern on trucks with the latest inductive heating calibration,im thinkin the extra voltage sent thru the ficm is damaging the internal circuitry causing the failures due to the cold temp change over the last couple of months , my thinking may be wrong but it makes since to me
Im in an independent shop, and weve noticed more ficm failures too. The inductive heat is what alot of people are thinking.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the info. Engine light is not on but i do have a loss in power. It might be a ground wire because the cab was just off or the latest flash comming from the dealer.

#12 ·
But will the truck still run with a bad ficm?

#21 ·
Yes the truck can run with a bad ficm, or it might not. Theres many many symptoms.

#14 ·
i had to get a new ficm about 2 months ago...they have a ton of different symptoms...mine just had a rough idle and it would sputter when you were driving...no start is another one...id go get it checked out

#15 ·
It's gonig to the shop on the 15th.

#18 ·
mines going in tomorrow to have the ficm replaced, what started my problem was a TON of white smoke on start up, had the heat inductive flash put in and would still blow tons of white smoke above 2k rpms, when the ficm was tested with the lap top, it was at 38 at idle then the more gas you gave it it dropped to 30 as where it should be at 46 I believe, and YES your truck will still run with a failing ficm but how well depends how bad it is

#19 ·
THANKS FOR ALL RESPONSES.

#22 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post here and I appologize for not introducing myself. But..

I've been searching and reading more then a few of the FICM threads and it seems that this is exactly what I'm dealing with.

I have both a 03 450 and a 07 250. My question is can I swap the unit from my 07 to see if that cures the issue. Or are these units vin specific and or encoded in anyway.

Thanks guys!.

#23 ·
I have both a 03 450 and a 07 250. My question is can I swap the unit from my 07 to see if that cures the issue. Or are these units vin specific and or encoded in anyway.

Thanks guys!.
YES. The Ford part number for a FICM is 4C3Z-12B599-AARM for ALL 6.0L engines from 2003 to current model years, whether it's for an E-Series or F-Series. When you purchase a new one however, it will need to be programmed to your vehicle using Ford's IDS scan tool. Another quick and easy way to confirm the FICM has failed is to connect a scan tool that you can read live data with. Access FICM_L, FICM_M and FICM_V readings at key-on/engine-off. FICM_L and FICM_V readings should be around 12 volts (battery voltage). FICM_M should read between 47.5 to 48.0 volts. These readings should remain the same at key-on/engine-off and key-on/engine running. If you see all three readings decrease (particularly FICM_M) as you attempt to start the engine, or if you increase engine RPM, that's the telltale sign that the FICM has failed with 100% certainty.

#25 ·
I just got back after the local dealer replaced my FICM..FICM=$675.00, labor and shop supplies ran it up to just under $1200.00. This truck is getting expensive. With mine it ran rough on start up for two days then no start.The work order says they "ran EEC test diag to faulty FICM". I'll see if I can get the codes tomorrow. It was right at closing time when I picked it up.

#26 ·
Has anyone figured out the cause for so many of these FICM failures? Is it a faulty part from Ford or is there an underlying cause?

What could be done to try to prevent this from going out?

#30 ·
there are many used FICM's with low miles on ebay. Brother bought one awhile back for his rig and seems to be running great. Price is a lil less than 1/2 of dealer cost.

#31 ·
Well Im here to join you guys on this one, drove home from work last night no problems, got in the truck this morning to go to work and bingo P0611 FICM Fuel Injector control module performance internal FICM error shows up.
A while back had studs, reflash, and egr delete done and notice a lack of power and no smoke, talked to the tech who worked on it and he said no codes, wasnt sure. Does this have to do with the reflash on maybe loose grounds?

#35 ·
I think I might have one too :( I had studs and egr delete done and before the truck started with no problem or hesitation ever! But now I have only gotten it to start like maybe 5 times. I dont see how taking everything apart then putting it back together would kill the ficm? I am wondering if it could be the oil pressure switch or whatever that thing is called?

#38 ·
hmmm so they could have ruined it putting it back together? They have been looking at it for free trying to fix it but they kinda keep hinting that the work they did didnt cause the problem

#37 ·
Mine started with low voltage to all the injectors, Then the truck was hard to start, Then on my hunting trip it wouldn't start, So a $500.00 tow truck ride and a $100.00 deductible and she is running fine. I better stay off the logging roads, FICM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.