2003 6.0 Diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0 Diesel

When the truck (F250) had 4,000 mile on it the engine made a loud explosion and the hose connecting the box located on the right side of the radiator (intercooler?) blew off and I lost the power from the turbo. Ford fixed the problem and I thought it was just a fluke. Well last week it happened again only this time the hose stayed on and the box broke leaving me without the turbo again. I was towing a 5th wheel toy box trailer weighing 16,600lbs. at the time. Sometimes there is a coughing sound that seems to be coming from the air box and a puff of black smoke comes out of the exhaust when towing. Is this normal and is there anything that can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

turbo tube

I had the same prob towing, the tube blew off, then about 5k later she started bucking and blowing black smoke when pulling the trailer, the problem was the egr valve, the valve is also the turbo waste gate, so that might be why your tube blew
Old 12-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Is the egr valve covered on the warranty? I was thinking about putting some gauges on for the boost and temp. so I will know when she's over boosting and heating up. Do you know of any available?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
Thanks for the info. Is the egr valve covered on the warranty? I was thinking about putting some gauges on for the boost and temp. so I will know when she's over boosting and heating up. Do you know of any available?
The EGR valve is covered under the powertrain warranty. They will pull it, clean it, clear any codes it stored and charge you 100 dollar deductable. It will take you 20 minutes and a 4 dollar bottle of berrymans carb cleaner to do yourself.
Talk to our site vendors about guages...they can make some sweet deals!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
The EGR valve is covered under the powertrain warranty. They will pull it, clean it, clear any codes it stored and charge you 100 dollar deductable. It will take you 20 minutes and a 4 dollar bottle of berrymans carb cleaner to do yourself.
Talk to our site vendors about guages...they can make some sweet deals!
The dealer just replaced the box and said it was ready to be picked up. I'll call and see if they checked the EGR valve. They didnt say anything about a 100 dollar deductible, and I dont remember paying anything the first time it happened. I broke down 60 miles from my house so I wont be able to pick it up until the weekend. Maybe I can get it done for free. Does this happen often? Everytime I ask the dealer questions they act like they dont know anything about thier product.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't know nuttin....

If its still under the 3 year 36000 mile bumber to bumber warranty, then theres no deductable. If thats expired and it falls under the powertrain warranty, it's 100 bucks.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Your right, I just got off the phone and the extended warranty I purchased will cost me 50 bucks. I asked the dealer to check the valve and he wont because there was no code telling him that it needs to. I told him that sometimes that for some reason it wont show but he still wont check it. They get paid for the work they have to do and still they wont check. I guess I will do it myself. Will the manual show me where the valve is located?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Read this.....
We were talking about this same thing in a diffeerent thread this mornig and this should help you figure it out....it's pretty easy once you get it out - it's in there tight!
I really don't know if its your EGR valve but it won't hurt to clean it.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 PM
The Fat Mod

Sounds like you need to find another dealer to go to.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry it took a while to reply. Thats awesome! Looks pretty easy and straight forward. I'll clean it as son as I get her home. Do you know if the o-rings are a dealer item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.