*HELP*6.0 HARD START/LONG CRANK TIME - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy *HELP*6.0 HARD START/LONG CRANK TIME

PURCHASED NEW 2006 F350 CREW 6.0 W/15,000 MI.,PAST FEW MONTHS EXPERIENCING HARD STARTING ISSUES/LONG CRANK TIMES PRIMARILY WHEN COLD.REPLACED BOTH FUEL FILTERS, NO CHANGE.TOOK TO DEALER REPLACED ICP SENSOR,HIGH PSI PUMP,CA REGULATOR??,& CLEAN TURBO,NO IMPROVEMENT.NOT SO SURE IT IS A HIGH OIL PRESURE ISSUE THINKING MORE LIKE FUEL RELATED,AFTER LONG CRANK AND TRUCK FINALLY FIRES IF YOU SHUT IT RIGHT DOWN AND TRY TO RESTART, IT DOES FIRE ALOT QUICKER.GOING TO TRY PLUGGING IT IN TONIGHT FOR THE 1ST TIME,SEE WHAT HAPPENS??
PLEASE HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

What kind of oil are you using? What is the ambient temperature where you are located?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've been having the same issues for about 2 months now. The tech at the dealership said my batteries were weak, and that was causing the problem because everything else seemed fine. I bought brand new batteries ( about 900 cold cranking amps) and no change. Still takes at least twice as long to fire than when I first bought it. However, If I drive it around a little, it will start right up like normal. No idea....
Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ROTELLA 15W40,EAST COAST 40-50 DEG.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

05 F350 97k ...I am having same problem! starts really hard and bangs around when it first fires for a few seconds..average temp is about low 40s..starts great when plugged in..the other morning it got about 30 overnight and i my cord wasnt plugged in the garage and i litterally had to hold the starter while it fired for at least 10 seconds! BAD! it started like an old mack truck in 10 degree weather! last winter it always banged alittle when cold but it always started right away! dealer told me i should run 10w30 and it should fix it..im not thinkin so! if im not mistaken i shouldnt even have to worry about plugging it in untill near zero temp..currently running 15w40 rotella w/1 gt lucas..its due for a change 7k on oil last changed in april 08..maybe just need fresh oil??? need to figure this out..almost out of warranty! thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
I had that problem with my 03. Take it to the dealership and have them re flash the PCM with the update. It fixed it on the spot...that was about a year ago. But I think I have an injector or starter going now...but yeah the flash defiantly fixes it.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

do you guys have the current flash from the dealer
Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

GENTS, I would be inclined to agree with the poster who was advised by the dealer to run 10W30 oil. Remember, the injectors on these engines are controlled by high pressure ENGINE OIL. The thicker the oil, the greater the resistance to all moving parts inside the engine. I would also like to add to it. STAY AWAY from aftermarket oil filters.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

AS FAR AS I KNOW I WOULD SAY NO,AT LEAST DEALERSHIP NEVER TOLD ME NOR WAS IT STATED ON ANY OF MY PAPERWORK.VERY DISGUSTED AT THIS POINT 2ND 6.0 AND NOTHING BUT TROUBLE.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I GUESS IT WOULDN'T HURT TO TRY 10-30 OIL ,BUT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE RAN ROTELLA 15W-40 SINCE DAY 1 WITH NO ISSUES, SAME PROB. ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO WHEN TEMPS WERE STILL IN 60-70 DEG. RANGE??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.