Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 6.0 hates life. Bad injectors?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  THEE RAT 
#1 ·
So where to start. Have owned truck for about a year and a half. Only some alternator issues.

So a few reeks ago it got COLD in Chicago. Truck started starting rough. Then I would let it warm up for 15-20 mins. Jump in and head to work.

Had low power. Had to let off to shift. (Auto) truck would get up to speed. The. Start chugging and drop down to 45 then 35 then 25 I would pull over. Let run/ keep it running for 5 mins. And do it again. Make it to the diesel pump. And put 40$ into it (late to work now) and 5 mins later would be fine.

Yes wAs using service master.

It did this a few days. Thought the truck was geling up. So after this happened bad one day I left it in my shop at work all day.

Got off work 12 hours later. Pulled it out. Let it still warm up. Leaving the shop I realized the truck had a rough ideal and it didn't go away. Was lower on power too. Then it shifted into OD and it started shaking a little.

Came home changed the fuel filters and still today same issues.

Does this sound like a few bad injectors? Thanks guys

See less See more
#3 ·
Almost forgot..
You may want to start by removing the batteries and having those load tested at an autoparts store. They don't charge for this.
Dead/dying/undercharged batteries contribute to FICM failure. Better to check the batteries and be sure they are up to the task before tossing another FICM in there.
Testing the batteries and then charging them up fully before testing the FICM will give you your best case test anyway.
Should either battery test as marginal or fail, replace them as a set. Charge the replacements fully before tossing them in the truck also.
The real telltale voltage reading will be when your truck is cold and you are cranking the engine over. Should the voltage read 45 volts or below, your FICM needs to be repaired.

#5 ·
Truck will be going into my buddy who is a ford tech. Will be checked out Monday. Said she will be fixed by the time I get back in town friday.

Scared to see what it is and my bill on it lol

#6 ·
I am with NYC, go to AutoZone, have them check the batteries, while you are there purchase a scangauge2. If the batteries check out ok, using the scangauge and entering some xgauges (see 'Monitoring the 6.0 thread') for your FICM voltage you can see what is happening.

If it's your FICM and you can't afford any downtime, Ed at FICM repair has a trade in program where he will send one out to you and then you send yours back once you swap them out.

He has several options on any budget!!

#7 ·
Well took her to my buddy at ford.

4 injectors were bad. Along with a few glow plugs. Soooooo

Truck is getting 8 new injectors
8 new glow plugs.
And new flow plug harnesses.

JOYYYYYY happy Monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.