*#@%#!*$^#in Oil Cooler, AGAIN!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
*#@%#!*$^#in Oil Cooler, AGAIN!!!

Sorry about the "another oil cooler thread" but couldn't find any useful info in the ten million other oil cooler threads.

I just replaced my oil cooler less than 8,000 miles ago. Hauling the excavator today 48* delta. I know you don't check deltas when towing, but I shouldn't have a oil temp of 236* and water temp of 188*. So WTF..... Cruising 65mph for about 15-20 mins 22-25* delta

Little history, truck has 211K miles on it, I tore it all apart at 204k. I put in 190/30's from warren and new oil cooler, trans cooler, radiator, oem head gaskets, had heads checked and decked. Put it all back together, and fired up on 4-5th crank. Deltas were 2-3* difference, and have been slowly getting worse ever since. I am running cat ELC, and have a coolant filter.

I bought the oil cooler from sunrise ford, it came with instruction sheet from Maxx Force. Im assuming thats the oem replacement, is that correct? Im not looking to buy the bullet proof kit right now(want to get stage 3 turbo first,lol).

What else could be clogging it? I had the truck apart for almost 3 months, the water jackets in the block looked a little rusty when it all went back together, so i dunno if it has all broke free and went straight to the oil cooler or what. I guess I'm going to buy another oil cooler, and see what happens. Any suggestions, comments, or questions to help me with this are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Trinidad Colorado ,USA
Posts: 5,193
Thanks: 105
Thanked 118 Times in 116 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hows your delta's when your doing the 60 mph flat lander test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oakbank, Manitoba
Posts: 2,837
Thanks: 6
Thanked 71 Times in 65 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
What else could be clogging it? I had the truck apart for almost 3 months, the water jackets in the block looked a little rusty when it all went back together, so i dunno if it has all broke free and went straight to the oil cooler or what. I guess I'm going to buy another oil cooler, and see what happens. Any suggestions, comments, or questions to help me with this are greatly appreciated.
It may be a bit of the block rust, but the radiator or heater core are possibilities. Having it dry can create precipitate that cracks or peels free. Depending on the condition of the system prior to your first replacement, you could zero in on the problem. If you didn't try to flush the block prior to re-installing the cooler, that was probably the culprit. You may be able to back flush it.

Also, check to ensure your EOT sensor is reading correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
Hows your delta's when your doing the 60 mph flat lander test?
Cruising 65mph for about 15-20 mins 22-25* delta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
It may be a bit of the block rust, but the radiator or heater core are possibilities. Having it dry can create precipitate that cracks or peels free. Depending on the condition of the system prior to your first replacement, you could zero in on the problem. If you didn't try to flush the block prior to re-installing the cooler, that was probably the culprit. You may be able to back flush it.

Also, check to ensure your EOT sensor is reading correctly.
I have a feeling that the rust is my problem. I have a new radiator that I got from BPD so it shouldn't be that. This is the 3rd oil cooler in the truck since new. I read a little on the back flush, kinda looks easier to just replace the oil cooler. I need my truck to run everyday for work purposes. (thats why I have it all turned up) Should I do the restore and restore plus again. I know one is for rust can't remember which. Where is oil temp sensor? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 4,220
Thanks: 20
Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are your numbers unloaded, no trailer at 60-65 mph? (ECT and EOT)

How heavy are you towing when you're seeing these big numbers? **edit** Am I the only one who thinks a 188* ECT is low when trailering an excavator?

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
*#@%#!*$^#in Oil Cooler, AGAIN!!!

Cruising 65mph for about 15-20 mins 22-25* delta unloaded.

I haul around 10-11k lbs

Edit: I replaced thermostat about 3000 miles ago too. Do to a low coolant temp. I had little to no heat in the truck. Got it from advanced auto I believe it was a 192* thermostat. ECT never went over 190 today.I hauled twice about 1.5 hrs each time. Flat land, besides over passes
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by sealeveloc; 02-12-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And my fan never kicked in to where you really hear it. Trans temp was 151* max. Where is heater core and is there any way to test?


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealeveloc View Post
And my fan never kicked in to where you really hear it. Trans temp was 151* max. Where is heater core and is there any way to test?


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You may want to check your ECT* when the truck is cold. It is possible that it's off. You should be making more heat than that pulling that size of load.

Unless you have a massive air pocket causing issues, but I can't see that since it's been run quite a bit since you did the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
You may want to check your ECT* when the truck is cold. It is possible that it's off. You should be making more heat than that pulling that size of load.



Unless you have a massive air pocket causing issues, but I can't see that since it's been run quite a bit since you did the work.

Thanks man, oil and coolant are with in 2* on start up when cold



Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors