Loud noise following head gasket repair - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeby64

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loud noise following head gasket repair

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I blew my head gasket and did the tear-down, repair, and build-up. The oil was pretty bad, like chocolate milk. Heads checked out good. After the repair, truck was putting out significant blue smoke and had a contribution 5 fault. Tried running it for ~200 miles (on advice from a friend) but was not clearing up, and then it started making a loup **whopping** noise. I replaced injector 5 but noise still remains. The noise sounds like it's coming from the turbo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to replace the turbo?
I'm trying to put a video up, but having problems with file format. If I get it figured out, I'll post the video.
Thanks for looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

hard to diagnose a noise based on a 'whoop' but im thinking maybe a stuck or something? bent pushrod? are you confident you got the pushrods lined up correctly? it is possible to miss the slot and put teh whole thing back together.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know, I wish I could provide a better description. I was pretty maticulous putting everything back together. But the noise did not appear until I ran the truck for a while, it was not there when I first ran it. My compression checks look good for 1, 3 & 7; 5 has no compression. So I expect I was dumping fuel into #5 and not burning it. Could that adversely impact the turbo?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:34 PM

if 5 has no compression that is your problem. you are probably going to have to pull that head again. at least the valve cover and oil rail and check that no push rods are broken or something. you may need to pull it and get the valves rechecked. i suspect that whoop is loosing compression through the intake. meaning a valve isnt sealing. dont quote me on that, i just dont really see it being much else. dumping fuel would actually increase compression and cause a hydrolock.
john galt likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I was able to convert the video and get it posted. Here it is.
Thanks again.
Ken
Attached Files
File Type: avi 20140209_8930.avi (1.46 MB, 55 views)
Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would agree with above. Could be a reall bad blown gasket, but if it were that bad you could probably feel it with your hand along the head somewhere and I would think water would also be an issue inexhaust or blowing out degas. I would look at your rockers and see if valves are closing.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM

yeah that sounds like a dead miss to me. did you get the heads checked out by a machine shop before you put them back on?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Intake valve is open. Might be bent or stuck open. Remove cover and oil rail to have a look.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 AM
information regurgitator

Check your rockers/pushrods on cyl #5....

Last edited by NYC F-350; 02-12-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you all so much for your input. Yes, heads checked out good by machine shop. I do have a couple questions though, and I apologize for my ignorance in advance ...

How would I diagnose if my #5 did hydrolock? ... does the entire engine lock, or could #5 just lock and not compress?
And is there any way to diagnose if I blew a hole in #5 piston (or ring)?

At least I got my first steps, pull cover & oil rail to check rockers/pushrods. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
contribution fault, head gasket, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.