HELP with No start issue; BPD 58v FICM bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SelahPSD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP with No start issue; BPD 58v FICM bad?

I need some of the collective wisdom of this forum. PROBLEM: I shut my truck off at 8:00 pm Saturday night. It was running fine. Sunday morning I went to start it and it cranked fine, but would not start. My CTS Insight showed 0.0 FICM voltage. So, I removed the top plate on the FICM and tested it with a voltage meter per Ron's videos on YouTube (with key off, and then while cranking). Results = 0.0 volts. I checked the FICM fuse and installed a new FICM relay. Same result--0.0 volts.

I found the following trouble codes:

P0611 FICM performance (this code has shown up since I upgraded the FICM)

P1000 On-Board Diagnostic OBD System Readiness Test Not Complete (this code has shown up since I installed the CTS Edge Insight monitor).

P1378 FICM Supply Voltage Circuit Low (this is a new code)

U0306 Software Incompatible With FICM (this code has shown up since I installed the PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune)

So, it appears that my FICM is dead! Correct? What could cause this--why would my FICM fail suddenly? My understanding is that the FICM rarely fails suddenly, and that they tend to fail more gradually.

Please note that I installed a Bulletproof Diesel 6-phase FICM with the 58v option about 15 months ago. I also installed a Power Hungry Performance Atlas 80 FICM tune about six month ago. Could my FICM have burned up? What else could it be? I haven't pulled the FICM yet, so I don't know what it looks like inside, and I have not been able to inspect the wire harness. The only other thing I should mention is that about three days before this problem occurred I installed LED dome lights. Is there some way this could've caused a problem?

All input is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would remove the FICM and check the connections going into the bottom of it. I've never seen a bad FICM read 0 voltage when tested. Not saying it doesn't happen, just haven't seen it.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Thank you very much for your input. Actually, when I first realized I was having a no start problem, I checked my CTS gauge and the FICM voltage fluctuated between 1 to 5 volts. By the time I got the FICM exposed to check it with the voltage meter, I was getting a reading of 0.0 volts. However, I agree that there still is a possibility that the wiring harness has come loose or unplugged. I will check that out and report back. Thanks!!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:01 AM

just wondering, I have the same, or similar problem with my rig. What fixed your truck?
My truck had a BPD ficm supply set at 58 Volts and after about six months ran into long cranks to start. Eventually to the point there was no start at all. I found the 50 amp ficm fuse popped and replaced it only to have it pop again immediately. Called BPD and they sent me a new ficm supply, greatly appreciated, BTW!! Hooked it up, now the truck starts, but still have to hold crank on to get it to fire. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Paulliewog, I want to thank you for your post. Thanks to you, I checked my 50 amp FICM fuse and found that it was blown. So, for me it was a quick and cheap fix! However, I have not been able to determine why the fuse blew in the first place! I checked the FICM wiring harness, but did not detect any chafing issues. I hope you were able to get your truck running. If I learn any more about possible causes for the blown fuse issue, I will post you. Thanks again for your help!
Paulliewog likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:10 PM

Kind of glad to hear that my truck woes are helping others out there. I'm working a bit on it here and there, and the truck does run now. Still have this long cranking and still starts and stalls. After a couple of times it finally starts and runs. Back at the drawing board tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Paulliewog, I found something on YouTube that might be helpful. Here's the link: FORD Diesel ~6.0L & 7.3L~ Troubleshoot Hard or Won't Start Problems - YouTube. If the link does not work just let me know and I will email it to you. Thanks again for your help.

Rob
Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 AM

Thanks SelahPSD. Have to get ScanGuage II, hopefully soon, to monitor them. Saw the video and it will help a lot. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Been a while since I posted on this thread. After a long, cold and mean winter I had some time to look at the truck and with a favour from a local repair shop (owner is a good friend of mine) got a scan tool to borrow. As I am cranking, the high pressure oil slowly builds up. It takes about 5-10 seconds to get up to 500 psi, and then the truck starts. Obviously a leak somewhere, but I am going to just leave it for now. I have to do the head gaskets too. Maybe in 2015 I will git'er done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bpd, ficm, no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.