2005 Ford 6L no start when hot. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 Ford 6L no start when hot.

Hi yall new to the forum and really hoping somebody can assist me is figureing out exactly what is wrong with my truck.

I have had this truck for 2 years and the hot start issue started about a month or so after I bought the truck.

This is the complete list of parts that have been replaced and still continues to not hot start:

Stand Pipes/Dummy Plugs
all injectors re-sealed
New HPOP
New IPR
New STC Fitting
New Branch Tube

Since then I recently attempted to save myself a ton of money and diagnose the truck myself. I pressure tested the systed with the IPR activated, while cold, and it was air tight. I tore into it a little further, I visually inspected the orings on the new stand pipes and dummy plugs, and while re-oringing the injectors the rings I pulled off were brand new.

I pulled the LPOP and inspected the gears. There was some verrrrry minor knicks and scratches in the gears but that was it, I was told the gears are fine and to just put them back in.

I was guided into thinking that I may have initially replaced the HPOP with a weak pump from the get go, so I replaced the HPOP, IPR, STC and resealed the injectors and put the truck back together.

Truck cranked up after 7-8 long cranks and sounded a ton better than when I took it apart. Now that the truck is back together it still does not hot start... If I am missing something please let me know, I plan on air testing the system while its hot to see if that will find the problem but other than that I am beyond stuck. I have also attempted to start the truck hot with the ICP unplugged and no dice there... it starts better with it unplugged but not right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You last statement leads me to ask what did the front cover look like, it is the back of the low oil pump. Have you ever actual tested the low pressure system with a mechanical gauge.
Clearances on the gear pump are pretty tight doesn't take much of a scatch or nick.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the o-rings in the top of the injector where the oil rail seats leak. you will have to get it hot, take the valve covers off and check it. with A LOT of air pressure. remember it leaks getting to 600psi of oil pressure. most shop air only gets to about 150 psi. get it hot, hook it up, and let it sit for a few minutes while you pump air into it. i wouldnt imagine it would be low pressure oil. but 05s in particular have an issue with the injectors leaking. not sure why, same part numbers as 06 and 07 but it seems only the 05s leak. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.