power loss and codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question power loss and codes

ok so yesterday i was driving home and my truck kept surging a little when on the highway at about 70 mph. and a little on accelration. also at idle it seems to be not stedy but the rpm is not changing much but i can hear it in the turbo noise. now today its loosing power like im running out of diesel but im not. so i checked for codes because my light never comes on. i think because i have the sct livewire on it but any way i got these codes p0046 p0069 p0403 p0478 p0603 p0683 i now what they are but dont want to just throw a bunch of new parts at it and still have a problem so trying to narrow it down also the egr is gone hence the 403. any help would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do you have a scan tool such as autoenginuity. If you don't, I know you don't want to hear it, but you will probably pay for it with this fix alone.

I have had some of these problems. First, the P0046 code could cause a lot of these other codes. The 0046 will probably lead you to the vgt solenoid. That thing rarel, rarely, rarely goes bad. So, with the engine running at idle unplug the vgt solenoid a few times and see if you can hear the turbo operating. Normally at idle you will hear the exhaust "hissing" because it has the vanes moved to a minimum so that the exhaust velocity increases as it hits the turbine wheel. When you unplug the vgt the vanes should open up and the velocity is decreased and the "hissing" will go away. Sometimes you can even hear a little "whoosh" at the intake of the turbo when the turbo starts to spin down when you uplug it.

If you are not getting any change when you unplug it, I would look through the wiring for a fault/short. I had one that would work at idle, but when I got torque on the engine it moved a little and caused a short. Took me forever to realize it was a short and it ended up being all the way down into the main part of the harness as I cut open the corregated protection tubing and followed the wires until I found them shorted together due to chafing against each other.

If that turbo is not working correctly you can get low back pressure compared to what is being commanded or you can get very high back pressure.

Also, there is tube that runs from the MAP sensor to the intake manifold. Those are prone to getting old and brittle and they can crack and if they are leaking they screw everything up. Even if it is not cracked, take it off of the manifold and clean out the brass nipple that it goes on. Sometimes Carbon plugs that thing up.

Start with all of that. Again, if you had a scanner you could actually see what the baro and MAP are giving you as well as EBP. The vgt solenoid has no feedback system, but you can see what the duty cycle is supposed to be at any given time.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh yeah,
Some people talk about the p0046 being stuck tubo vanes...... I don't think you can say that. P0046 is an electrical code saying something isn't right about the circuit. Since there is no feedback loop from the solenoid, there is no real way to say of the vanes are moving or not with that code.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 PM

i just checked all that and evey thing is good however i can hear the turbo wistle noise changing at idle with it pluged in when i unplug it it goes away do you think it could be the map it self going bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.