Stumped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 04:53 AM
KCCO!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stumped

All,

I'm helping out a fellow 6.0 owner and I'm stumped. His rig has the following mods: EGR delete, new oil cooler, new filters, new radiator, ARP studs, all gaskets are new, OEM head gaskets, heads were decked and checked for cracks. Dummy plugs, standpipes, SCT fitting are all upgraded. During WOT runs his ECT and EOT are 2-8 deltas apart. Coolant system was flushed and then did a reverse flush. Everything sounds good eh? Somehow he is still losing coolant, under load (towing with 3,000 lbs) he has white smoke coming out of the exhaust and still puking coolant. No leaks from any hoses at all, dry as a bone underneath his rig. No loss of power and she runs like a champ. No tunes or programmers. Coolant stays topped off at the "new" fill mark so his degas is not overfilled. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You said coolant stays full but pukes? And you say it smokes white? Only towing? I hate to say it man but it sounds like there is some debris or studs weren't torqued properly on the heads. Was the egr deleted or a plug jus welded on the end? If plug was welded id check that first. It'd be the easiest

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 AM
KCCO!!

I meant to say he only tops off his degas at the "new" fill line when he pukes coolant. Only place it looses coolant. Full EGR delete was done. Only white smoke he gets is while towing. I will make sure he torqued head studs down properly. Other than that, I'm at a complete loss.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:18 AM

Steam can only come from one thing. Water in the combustion chamber. Its rare for a head gasket to do that but it can happen

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Premium Member

It could be the puking is misting below the truck and it looks like it is coming from the exhaust. 3,000lbs is nothing for a load!

Check the pressure of the coolant system.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:13 AM

Compression is being introduced to the coolant system(which is why degas is puking) and coolant his being dumped into the cylinders(which is your white smoke/steam coming out of exhaust). Head gaskets are not sealed properly. There will be coolant in the oil or signs of coolant in the oil. Its more prevalent when towing because the engine is under a load. That and I'm sorry because that really sucks after all that work.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How many miles are on this stud job? Mine puked for a few miles (maybe 10) when I first did it but I believe it was air being worked out of the coolant system. The cap is designed to self bleed. Now when I hammer on it, it doesn't puke a bit. I've also been removing the cap after driving to 'feel' how much pressure is in the system, and it usually vents a small puff before I can remove the cap. When I had blown head gaskets, I'd have to loosen the cap, allow pressure to bleed off for a few seconds, and then I could remove it all the way.

You sure it's steam from the exhaust? White smoke could also be unburned diesel.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 PM
KCCO!!

I considered unburnt fuel also, but since he was still puking coolant, I didn't put much more into it. After speaking with him again, he did inform that was egr was plugged and not fully deleted. Also...I know 3k I'd not much of a load, just stating what he was hauling when it happened.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There is a long shot, but there is a slim possibility that his degas bottle cap is just weak. Like all cooling systems, it is designed to operate under pressure. To really check it out, he needs to somehow read the pressure of the cooling system immediately when he cranks it up cold. If it climbs immediately to an unacceptable level, then he is more than likely looking at 1) head gasket 2) possibly a cracked head into the water jacket 3) leaky egr cooler, but I'm not sure if exhaust back pressure would be enough to overpressure the cooling system when cold.

If the engine runs great, then I am inclined to say that the steam coming out of the exhaust is not coming from a head gasket. Usually a very small leak in a head gasket will allow combustion pressure to enter the cooling system, but won't let water run back the other way into the cylinder. Most of the time when I see a gasket blown bad enough to let water into the cylinder, you get an engine that misses.

Sorry to hear all that work is not working out right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.