Turbo issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sinner6.0L

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo issues

Hi, my truck runs great until it gets up to temp and I come to a stop. When the truck is up to temp and I get on the throttle the vtg stays at 85, meaning the veins are stuck closed, why does this happen when truck is up to temp, sometimes truck takes off ok and other times vtg stuck at 85 and sluggish. I know the veins are stuck closed but why intermittent . Any thoughts, it's driving me nuts, what would cause this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You're actually watching commanded VGT not actual. These trucks do not have a vane position sensor like the duramax counterparts.

So in theory if your truck is commanding 85% VGT all the time then the PCM is not seeing the exhaust backpressure it wants to. Too little back pressure would cause the PCM to want to close the vanes to gain more, this would be to decrease lag and promote EGR flow. Sounds to me like your vanes are actually stuck open which would create a sluggish lag on take off.
john galt likes this.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was told today by a Ford Tech that my turbo is stuck. He's claiming six to eight hours to clean it or a reman turbo replacement. It runs ruff until it's at operating temps, then it's fine. Boost gauge seems to be functioning okay, but he said I shouldn't run it in this condition. Problem is I need to pull my camper this weekend. I can probably do it with my Expy but it's only a 302.

I've read the short explainations of this, but is there serious danger with this until next week?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.