1st diesel, oil leak and operation questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1st diesel, oil leak and operation questions

Hey all, I am new to the forum and just purchased my first diesel. I purchased an 05 powerstroke with ~150k on it from an old friend of the family who passed.

The truck is in immaculate shape however it leaks oil and I cannot seem to find the source. The leak appears to be coming from the top of the motor and depending on which angle the truck is parked, gravity will make it flow to various parts of the engine and drip down.

I have powerwashed the underside of the vehicle and have been able to check the rear main, oil pan, and the bottom half of the heads. I checked the oil filter and what parts of the heads I can see from the top and all seems to fine there as well.

The leak is rather significant as I will almost always leave my mark wherever I park sometimes just a drop or two, sometimes more.

I know this is broad but any ideas? Anyone had a similar situation?

Also, when I purchased the truck and checked the oil, it was running right at the bottom of the "add" line on the dipstick. I ran up to the auto parts store and she took ~4.5 quarts I was astonished. How come when running that low on oil, my pressure gauge still sits right in the middle and my engine doesn't run hot at all?

Note** The old man who owned the truck had Ford replace the heads in 2007 on warranty. The truck has not had an EGR delete performed yet.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

cheers,

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 05:50 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

A couple of things come to mind real quick...

Oil feed tube to the turbo

Oil return line from the turbo

Oil filter cap (bad o-ring)

Leaking IPR valve

Or any of the glow plug harnesses.

These would be the first place I'd look.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome aboard. Start off with some questions for you...do you have a monitor to read all the information from the engine? Search around there are tons of good threads about monitoring the 6.0, a monitor isn't really an option for these trucks. Also what oil did you use? Just curious.

Check these out. These guys had similar issues. If you get through the stuff fuzz listed and it's still bad, it could be the bed plate, hope not though.

Oil leak
Oil leak

Hope that helps a little bit.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick responses I will check those places when I get home this evening.

As for the oil pressure and temp, how could I be 4 quarts low on oil and not be showing any signs on my gauges?

I understand the factory gauges aren't the best but there should be a little favor given low or high with that degree of fluctuation in the fill level.. right?

cheers.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Cuz the gauges are basically idiot lights that don't work.

The only gauges that really work on your dash are the speedo, rpms, and fuel.

The other should be ignored.

You need to get a ScanGaugeII to monitor your rig.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
As for the oil pressure and temp, how could I be 4 quarts low on oil and not be showing any signs on my gauges?
The oil gauge is just a 7 psi switch. The truck takes 15 quarts of oil for a change. 4 quarts low, although bad, is not a show stopper, unless you were in an off-road position. Of course, you do run the risk of oil not continually flowing to the bearings.

The oil leak locations have been suggested, but it could also be a rear seal, or even from a seal after the previous fix.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It also could be ICP sensor causing the oil leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.