ICP code? help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ICP code? help!

i just bought an 03 f350 6.0 and after a week of having it the cel came on. i had it scanned and it is the icp sensor. everything was still running fine until tonight it started idling rough and running a lil rough. is this because of the icp? should i not drive it until that is fixed? and should i replace the pigtail also? also i had a certified ford tech scan it with some fancy computer and it came back that i have a bad egr valve or something to that sort but no code on it? it also said that my unison rings are sticking and that is causing a "wooshing" sound from the turbo and i need to replace the turbo. does this all sound legit? im hoping i can fix a few things and have a great truck. its all stock except a 6" pro comp lift. Im fairly new to the diesel world and this is my first powerstroke. any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ICP once it drops below 500 psi your truck won't even start. This could be a sensor problem or other HPOP issues. A quick test of the icp is unplug it and try to start. When icp is unplugged the pcm will use a default value and will start, if it keeps running the HPOP system is good and the icp and pig tail should be replaced.

As far as the turbo it may only need cleaning, this can be done your self numereous video's available from u-tube on this. The EGR can also be cleaned but sometimes will need replacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyboy950 For This Useful Post:
pezzy84 (01-28-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the org!!

It's common for the 03's to have ICP sensor and plug/wire issues. Ford actually has a TBS about this. The sensor fails due to oil leaking thru the sensor and shorts out the sensor, or the oil sits on the wiring insulation along with heat from the turbo, and causes the wire to be exposed, causing a short or erratic running issues.

Like said, the turbo could just use a cleaning or possible sticking vanes from soot/rust/or cracked unison ring. With the 03's, if the batteries have been disconnected for a prolong amount of time, you may have to so a "VGT relearn" procedure. The EGT might need a cleaning, while your at it, check/clean the MAP hose and nipple, a long with the EBP sensor and tubing.

Get yourself a monitor solution, this will help check the health of the motor (i.e. Oil cooler issues). Plus will help diagnose and trouble shoot current and future issues.

Here is a copy/paste of VGT relearn.
KAM (keep-alive-memory) reset & VGT learn procedure
1. Drive the truck until the engine and transmission have reached normal operating temperature.
(The VGT learn procedure requires that the oil and coolant temperatures be at normal operating temperature)
2. Flash truck back to stock (Only need to do this if running a tuner or module)
3. Turn on the headlights
4. Disconnect both batteries
5. Short out + to - battery cables to each other (Make sure both batteries are disconnected before doing this).
6. Let truck sit like this for 10-minutes
7. Turn off the headlights.
8. Re-connect batteries
9. Cycle the key to the run position twice. Pause in the “ON” position each time until the wait to start lamp goes out (minimum 5-seconds) and pause in the “OFF” position each time for 10-seconds to be sure the PCM has "gone to sleep".
10. Start the truck and let it idle for a minimum of 5-minutes at normal operating temperature. This allows the PCM to learn the EGR valve closed position value. Also you will likely hear the turbo pitch change several times during this period as the PCM learns the necessary duty cycles for accurate VGT control.
11. Complete the road test Drive Cycle:

15 miles of mixed driving (*should* be enough in most cases) to allow the PCM to "re-learn"
its adaptive strategy. Note: Anytime the batteries are disconnected, the PCM will throw the
P1000 code until the “Drive Cycle” is completed. As for the Tow/Haul mode, the transmission
must re-learn your driving style and loads hauled again as this was cleared when the truck was
re-flashed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
icp sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.