Boost is all over the place - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 02:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost is all over the place

ok so about a month ago i was driving with the cruse control set at 70mph and i noticed every now and then my truck seemed to cut in and out of power. It only happened once so i ignored it. about two weeks after that i got the edge cts monitor and noticed that it happened again, and as it happened i watched the monitor and the boost seemed to jump from 11psi to 18-19 psi then back down then back up. so i am just trying to figure out what is going on with the turbo. no engine coded from the turbo jumping but i am getting a generator circuit code as well as a egr position fault code. Are the codes related to my turbo problem? thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

they could be related. With all the electronics on this engine, a faulty eletrical circut (generator) could cause all sorts of problems.

Wish I had more info for you.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM

update: So i called a diesel shop and he said it could either be a bad sensor in the turbo. Don't know what the sensor is called???? or the unison ring can be sticking. what do u guys think i should look at first? is there a way to test the sensor on the turbo?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i don't know what sensor they would be talking about. There is a solenoid, but it has no feedback, so i wouldn't call it a sensor. That solenoid could go bad, but honestly I have not seen anyone that had a confirmed VGT solenoid go bad. I thought mine was bad after a lot of troubleshooting, but it turns out that it was a short in the two wired that go to the solenoid. They were rubbed raw WAAYYYYYY down in the protective tubing that goes around them. I was at my wits end when i decided to follow the wires all the way to the ECM if I had to. I wiggled those wires around while the truck was running and I finally got the turbo to change sounds like it had been disconnected, confirming that the wires were in the problem. Little liquid tape and some actualy tape and it was fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.