03 6.0 low/ no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 low/ no power

Hey guys, new to site. I recently bought an 03 f250 w/6.0 auto. Been sitting for 2+ years. I am new to diesel mechanics but have been a mechanic for 16 years. I diagnose my problems and don't change parts guessing. I have always been a gas burner guy but have fell in love with diesels recently. Having a lower power issue. I have got the truck running by dropping tank and cleaning fuel system properly, new filters for fuel, new oil and filter, new batteries, new starter, fixed ficm, new icp, new bps, cleaned turbo and installed new unicen ring, new cac boots. Starts and runs great. Cranks easy in cold weather. Have Mac mentor pro scanner so I can monitor anything throughout truck. Still can't find any issues with truck but have no power. I'm making boost, have good icp readings. I can sit in park and run rpm to 2500 and hold pedal steady but rpm will fall 750 to 1000 rpm. I'm thinking low fuel pressure. Any ideas?

Last edited by Bleehebner; 01-27-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anybody? Ideas?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Plugged cat?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tried that. Unbolted before cat. Actually ran worse. Busting up at 2500. Then falls back when foot held in same position.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello I'm new to this sort of thing. I have an 03 f 350 6.0 that is having issues when cold. I've read some of the threads on this, but haven't found an answer that was specifically accurate to my problem. When I fire it up in the morning it runs rough for a few seconds then sounds alright. But when I don't let it run about 10 min.or so, it is will miss until it gets warmed up. Plus I'm getting lower mpg. I've replaced the ficm recently and I use rotella 15/40 with no other additives. I have 170,0. 00 mi ,third owner and not a clue what's been Done to it. I think it is stock. Any feedback would be appreciated .Thanks, p.s.the info I have read on other problems I've had you have been very helpful.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like low voltage output to injectors from ficm
Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could 1 go bad in just a few months? I had a Ford dealer tech do it for me on the side.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleehebner View Post
Hey guys, new to site. I recently bought an 03 f250 w/6.0 auto. Been sitting for 2+ years. I am new to diesel mechanics but have been a mechanic for 16 years. I diagnose my problems and don't change parts guessing. I have always been a gas burner guy but have fell in love with diesels recently. Having a lower power issue. I have got the truck running by dropping tank and cleaning fuel system properly, new filters for fuel, new oil and filter, new batteries, new starter, fixed ficm, new icp, new bps, cleaned turbo and installed new unicen ring, new cac boots. Starts and runs great. Cranks easy in cold weather. Have Mac mentor pro scanner so I can monitor anything throughout truck. Still can't find any issues with truck but have no power. I'm making boost, have good icp readings. I can sit in park and run rpm to 2500 and hold pedal steady but rpm will fall 750 to 1000 rpm. I'm thinking low fuel pressure. Any ideas?
If this thing will start and idle, ICP is 23% or less with 580 ish (1 volt) ICP, there are a few directions this could go. 1. Fuel pressure. It should stay above 45 psi no matter what the load 2. Restricted or biased EP sensor (unless you have the inferred cal) MAP, BARO, and EP should be the same Key On Engine Off. 3. Stuck EGR, or EGR throttle plate. If your intake elbow has a Throttle position sensor on it, you have EGRTP. Make sure the blade isn't stuck in a partially closed position. The blade should be wide open unless the EGR system is active. Happy hunting.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ep sensor is new from ford and tube was cleaned, egr is deleted, no throttle plate. So that just leaves fuel pressure. Ordered adapter so as soon as it comes in I can check it
Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Now that I think about it I did check MAP, BARO, and EP. EP was at zero and other two matched? What's that mean? EP is brand new from ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.