another crank and no start problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
another crank and no start problem

First I'd like to say hi, and thanks for any thoughts and input. A lil history on the truck it, its a 07 f250 with 115k miles. regular maintenance, new batteries (1 month ago), and new fuel system upgraded (10 months ago) other then that stock.

Well to get down to it, earlier this week it wouldn't start at the end of the day, so I get a ride home. The next morning I show up and it fires right up. No codes

2 days later it does the same thing crank no start, fries right up the next day.

I'm a nubie but Ive been lurking on this site reading everything. So I did try discoing the ICP when it happened no change

The ICP reads 580 the ficm is sitting at 48v on idle and 46.5 on crank the IPR is at 14% with key on and jumps to 30% on start up, idling it sits at 23%

inj pulse width bounce between .99 -1.11 at idle

oh and 45 psi at fuel bowl, with 14.0v battery on idle dropping to 11.9 on crank.

Any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 03:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine has the same problem. I haven't done the troubleshooting that you have completed. It started one day...runs fine. I go to pick up a mattress and the truck just wont start in the parking lot. I had it towed to my tech (Bob Turner in W. Bridgewater, MA) for repair. He is very talented and fair. I should hear something this week. I will let you know since the info might help you out.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

It is not starting when engine is hot (right) ?

Check your:
ICP
IPR
When you go to start it when hot. If it's a HPO leak you will see high IPR% and under 500 on the ICP.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Those numbers were when it was running hot (drove it home) but when it hasnt started it hadnt run for a couple of hours, last time it didnt start ipr stayed at 14% and the icp spiked to about 1100

thanks jdr let me know what you find out
Old 01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok talked to a mechanic today he said it might be the cam position seensor, and crank position sensor, any thoughts?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
I think you have a hpop problem either icp or ipr. I just started mine with the key in the on position the ipr read 17% but once I tried to start it immediately went to 47% then in three seconds it started. Either your ipr is bad or maybe the screen has some trash on it. To me a crank position sensor would throw a code.

I believe when you have a hpop leak your ipr % increases over 50% because the pump is trying to supply the necessary pressure to fire the injectors.

I would pull the ipr and inspect the o ring and screen for damage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just had some of the same symptoms myself. Son calls and says truck won't start. It had died a couple of times the weeks before but started right back up. When it wouldn't start, everything looked fine on the AE. 1800 PSI starting, 48V on ficm etc.

We did notice that when you turn on the key we did not hear the buzz test being completed. Are you hearing the buzz test?

I think we have fixed it because we have not had any problems for the last few days. We determined it might be the FICM plug locks were broke and one of the plugs was not making good contact. It was strange that the ficm looked good on the AE but was not operating the injectors. At any rate, I put a piece of heater hose underneath the plugs and tightened down the ficm and that will hold the plugs up in there. The key was that we did not hear the injectors cycling at Key on.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im hearing the buzz from the injectors but I have not had anyone do the buzz test on individual injectors
Old 01-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you are hearing the buzzing of the injectors then it is not the same problem I had. They were totally dead at Key On.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could be a bad HPOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.