fragile starter solenoid terminals - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 01:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fragile starter solenoid terminals

Maybe I'm used to starter terminals being more durable, its 10 degrees out and I'm putting in a new starter, 2004 6.0, the old cable end rotted and broke off so I put a new one on. Normally I lower the starter and detach the cables but the main batt cable snapped off. I have a bunch of hd crimp ends, so carefully cut off the old connector, little heat to melt the solder, solder on a new one and crimp it tight before covering it with epoxy heat shrink.

Had to bend the terminal end to get it to align with the starter, and I start spinning the nut on, new started bolted in place. I'm using a stubby 3/8 ratchet and feeling the cable, twist the nut, adjust the cable repeat, I've only got finger pressure on the ratchet when it pulls the terminal out of the solenoid... WTF, The old starter did this when I went to remove the cable end.

I'm shocked that they're so fragile and not a long enough terminal to get two wrenches on it.

Mostly just venting, now see if I can find a solenoid. this one has the tips of the screws soldered but not a big deal to remove them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Is it a Ford starter?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Ford guy says the terminals are pretty fragile. it turns out the screws were not soldered in. also a heavy-duty ring terminal needs to be trimmed down a little in order to fit I'll pick up another solenoid on eBay
Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 AM

Shaving just 020 off the outer radius of a typical 2/0 3/8 crimp terminal gives enough room for everything to clamp down stress free.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The biggest problem I find is the thin back up nut loosens or is often missing and the whole t-bolt tries to turn in the bakealite and it breaks.

I don,t see where they think they are saveing that much money makeing that nut soo thin LOL.

Yes finding a wrench that will fit is near impossible. I use a half of an old 90 deg. box end that I ground down on the inside surface till it is only about 1/4 in.
thick. I do not use it on anything else it is not strong enough.

Last edited by dannyboy950; 01-31-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: sorrry fat fingers
Old 01-31-2014, 02:46 PM

i just had the starter out and didn't notice any issues then again you had a terminal contact issue didn't you ? assuming that's is why you put another one on ??

that terminal could have had excessive heat due to a poor connection and compromised the housing

the solenoid reminded me of a chevy Small block solenoid the one that is on a billion vehicles

as far as wrenches I had no problem getting a deep socket 1/4 drive on both of the terminal nuts
Old 02-01-2014, 04:54 AM

My old one nor the new one had a backup nut, just the one nut and a pretty short stud to clamp it all down on. Yes indeed, after removing the starter I found that the battery cable end was about broken off, so using a wizzer wheel I cut the terminal, pryed and unsoldered it apart after cutting off the heat shrink. Applied a new crimp terminal, standard 1/0 size as it would just fit over the cable. crimped/soldered and heat shrunk the new terminal onto the cable then destroyed a brand new starter with it.

I opted to toss a new starter into it because I had the non starting issue, power getting to the solenoid, solenoid clicking, voltage reading at the starter housing to ground showing less than 1/10 volt, 12.8 at the battery terminal and zip to the starter terminal. So the solenoid was toast.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:59 AM

whos " new" starter ?

i don't remember a back up nut on the stud like a chebby would have ?
seems like it would be required but i didn't look

my starter has 100,000 miles on it ans I dropped it to access another item it looked good so I cleaned it and reinstalled it

the only thing i hated was that back bolt LOL
Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 AM

New from my local alternator/starter shop, I take all the fire truck starters and alternators to them, and they'll do anything you want to a starter or alternator from economy repair to full rebuild to just give you another one. Sadly they started closing up on weekends so I put myself in a big bind with the truck dead in the middle of the driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.