truck builds boost sometimes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck builds boost sometimes

Hey guys this is my first post so i want to thank you all ahead of time for any responses i get! So i bought my first 6.0 powerstroke from a used car dealer a few weeks back. it head an ABS light on and a check engine light for #7 glowplug so the dealer replaced the glow plug and put a new wheel sensor in so when i picked the truck up both lights were out and it ran great. A week later the check engine light came on and ran really rough not building any boost. if i floored it the rpms would go up to 2000 and then it would down shift and jump up to 3000 rpm then the boost would build and it would take off like a rocket. but as soon as i let off the gas i would have to floor it again and go through that process in order to get any boost. i pulled the codes which were P0470, P0069, and P0299. I contacted the dealer i bought the truck from and they had me bring it to a ford dealership near me to have it diagnosed and fixed. the ford dealership said #2 injector was bad and they updated the computer and that fixed the problem. it ran fine for about a week then just 2 days ago it did the exact same thing then stopped and seemed to run ok. but then today i hauled my dump trailer ( aprox 5000 lbs empty) and when i floor it it would only pull 22 psi of boost when normally i can hit 25-27 psi unloaded. sorry for the long post i just wanted you guys to understand where im at and know the history of whats happened so far.
thanks in advance everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anybody?????
Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 AM

Have you rescanned for codes?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i still have all the same codes. lastnight i unplugged the turbo vane controler to see if that was bad and it opens and closes as it should. could it be my exhaust back pressure sensor??
Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Absolutely, the ebp sensor is cleanable but you can get it for 42$ off eBay. It fixed my turbo problems. Also the tube that runs from the manifold to the sensor should be cleaned. You may need to clean your turbo if all else fails
Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thanks ill clean it first but if that doesn't fix it then ill have the dealer look at it because its still under warranty from the guy i bought it from. where is the sensor located?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:58 AM

Front of drivers side manifold
Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just an update, im going to clean the exhaust back pressure sensor tomorrow but i started the truck today and the only codes i had were the MAP- barometric pressure code and a water in fuel correlation code. a few days ago the water in fuel message came on thedash then went away so i tried to drain the separator but the plug is corroded in their pretty good. can i drill it out or should i just get a new cover and plug and would the water in fuel have anything to do with the other codes that were thrown?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am sure you don't want to hear this, but before you throw money at parts that are not absolutely obvious, you should invest in the Autoenginuity scan tool and ford expansion package. It's not cheap, but will save you money if not on the first repair, at least on the second one.

What you described could be a couple of problems. it could be a sticky EGR valve. You can clean that and give it a try for a couple of dollars worth of carb or brake cleaner.

The boost pressure isn't necessarily wrong. The computer calculates the amount of air molecules going into the engine and regulates pressure based on that. If it's cold, you may see lower boost pressure than when it is hot outside. That is because 27 PSI of boosted very cold air produces a lot more combustion pressure than 27 PSI of hot air. Ultimately it is regulating the amount of HP being produced to the designed capability.

It could also mean that it is low pressure which could be cause by a short in the wiring to the VGT solenoid. You would probably get a boost control code if that happend though. The short can be hard to find. I had one that was about 8 inches down in the protected corregated wiring cover down beneath the turbo level.

It could also be indicative of a sticking VGT. The veins and mechanism can get rusty and carboned up causing the veins not to move correctly. Ours would do what you described only worse. you could floor it and get good boost, then when you let off, the veins stuck wide open. this leads to almost no turbo response until you have it floored for like 15 seconds and eventually the turbo spools up and starts producing boost again. ours would eventually unstick and work again. Cleaning turbo was really easy and it works like a champ now.

Back pressure could be off as well. Could be a stopped up line that leads to the sensor, or a bad sensor. All of these can be diagnosed with AE or comparable scan tool.

Let us know when you find the problem.

I don't see one, but I wish admin would put a "solved" section in the forum that would allow us to move the thread so that people can see how a problem was solved. Too many of these discuss for a long time and then there is no resolution to the problem.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was having a similar problem a few weeks ago. Turbo wouldn't spool up until after holding the accelerator to the floor for a few seconds. I pulled the brass piece out of the port on the passenger side of intake manifold...cleaned it, hose going to MAP sensor, and replaced sensor. Haven't had any problems since. Hope it helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.