Ruptured oil cooler or blown head or???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By FawlGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ruptured oil cooler or blown head or????

Hello all,
Please forgive me if there is information I may have missed in a search, been looking for a week now and nothing really is helping. So humbly I need to ask the experts!

Last summer I changed the oil cooler due to a 26 degree delta for the EOT and ECT. While on a very tight budget, and me being a cheap ***, I went with a cheap ebay oil cooler. Now I am leaking oil out of the oil cooler housing, it can be seen on the passenger side front of the oil cooler housing where it meets the block. While doing a checkup last week I noticed a small amount of oil in the degas bottle. I have CAT ELC1 and a coolant filter in place BTW.

Even after the flush, oil cooler and coolant swap I ended up with a 15 degree delta and was hoping to ease along until summer to do again. Now the oil leak and oil in the degas bottle.

There is no spewing of coolant or coolant loss, no burning coolant or white exhaust smoke, engine runs great although takes about 3 seconds to start. Brand new batteries and FICM voltage is in spec.

So the question, blown head gaskets or ruptured oil cooler? EGR cooler is still there as well as the valve, engine is stock. monitored by a Scan Gauge 2.

Truck is an 06 350 dually 6.0 crew cab auto FX4

Thanks for your help and thoughts on her.

V/R
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 4u2nvme
How long it been in, How did those gaskets fit? I have read horror stories on those eBay coolers and poor fitting gaskets and people MAKING them fitů... Only to have it all leak later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to 4u2nvme For This Useful Post:
mac92a2002 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:53 PM

The gasket material for these cheap eBay coolers are literally dissolving and clogging up in the screen underneath the cooler. If it were me I would immediately pull the oil cooler before anything else happens. Doesn't sound like anything close to a head gasket failure but could turn into HPOP failure, and injector failure due to the screen clogging up and starving injectors for oil. I'd shut er' down and get to pullin er' back apart.
john galt and 4u2nvme like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to FawlGuy For This Useful Post:
mac92a2002 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 AM

re

Thanks guys for the responses,
The oil cooler has been in since late July, started leaking about November. The gaskets all fit fine, didn't have to cut or trim any to fit. But obviously they are garbage. The truck is parked right now, waiting on my performance machine cooler and egr delete kit, top side creeper (no more bruised ribs), coolant filters, coolant, and restore to arrive which should be by end of next week. Would like a BPD but simply cant afford right now. Think I'm heading in the right direction?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM

I don't have any information on that oil cooler as far as if its good or bad.

Did you replace the STC (Snap To Connect) fitting on the HPOP? If not then you should do that. I think the kit is $50.

Replace/update dummy plug on both heads.

Replace/update oil supply line and drain tube on turbo.

I would get a cpl bottles of Cascade automatic dish washer gel/fluid and run it through the coolant system to bust up any oil that's there. Its a non foaming detergent so it is safe to use and works well.
The Following User Says Thank You to FawlGuy For This Useful Post:
mac92a2002 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 AM

I am hoping it is a reputable company, saw some reviews on this site that showed they seem to be a good company with quality products. What SCT fitting kit do I need to buy, any recommendations to the brand or company to buy from?
Also, cascade wont harm the cooling system? Not that the oil in it is great for it....
Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Its an OEM kit
PN - 4C3Z-9B246-F

Cascade or which ever dishwasher detergent you use will not harm anything. Think about it like this. We put all kinds of greasy pots, pans , plastic bowls in the dishwasher then we eat off them and none of the dishes were harmed yet they were clean. its not a new magical step, just another level of cleaning for your coolant system... do not use a regular soap like Palm Olive dish soap because it foams up and youll have a hell of a time getting it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.