Puking Coolant/ Heater Barley works - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 06:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puking Coolant/ Heater Barley works

Hi all Im new here and Have been reading threads for the past few hours and cant seem to find a list of answers. I have a 04 f250 Its Studded and those were put on around 90k miles ago (180k on the truck), EGR Delete, Has a coolant filter I installed AFTER flushing the cooling system. Im still puking coolant out the Degas bottle and the Heater hardly works. When Im running the truck around town i'll monitor it and it'll settle at around 176 degrees and the oil temp will be around 184 or so. Its rarely get past 10 degrees of each other So im thinking that rules out a bad Oil cooler. I can really really get on it (Running a SCT Extreme street tune) and the truck wont get hot. The truck actually cools off at while Idling. So to put in a list here is what Im experiencing
-Heater cools off at Idle
-Only warms up when I rev it up
-EOT and ECT are within 10 degrees of each other when I reach Operating temps
-I filled the DEGAS Bottle today and that Kinda helped the heater situation, even though it took around a gallon of fluid it was still puking coolant before then.
-I over filled the DEGAS a little today so some puking is expected.
Could it be something as simple as the DEGAS bottle cap? I put a new For one on there around 6 months ago and when I go to take it off, even if it's cooled off for a few hours it still lets off a bit of pressure and whistles at me.
Or could it be something as air in the system that causing it to burp and the heater to not work correctly?
Im sorry if when I typed this out its difficult to follow.
PS-
-I have the stock DEGAS bottle could I just have the coolant way over filled? even though I added nearly a gallon of coolant it's never over heated, but the heater not workin is something new that's seem to have happened.

Thanks in advance for the help guys, ive been thinkin about this all day lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My wife's explorer has the same systems...people are telling me it's the head gasket's..
Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here is some info.

Troubleshooting coolant loss (white residue around cooling system components(degas))

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

That's how it happened to my truck...

First puking...

Then puking and heat loss...

Finally head gasket failed, hydrolocking the engine...

You can choose to replace the head gaskets now and stud the truck, or you can put it off until it fails, possibly stranding you when you don't need it.

I'd start saving for the head gasket job...

I don't know where you are in Oregon, but the shop to go to is Vision Diesel Performance. (503) 487-6074

Give Derek or Curtis a call and they will take care of you, honestly and fairly.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 PM

I heave Head Studs on the truck already, I know when I first Got The Truck it had a cracked EGR cooler but I deleted that all together rather quickly. Could it be possible I Stretched the Head Studs?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 4u2nvme
What type of head bolts. ARP? If you torqued to specs I highly doubt you stretched them. I see you have a tuner, do you run really rad tunes? The heads when the studs done, did you get them removed and tested? Please say you used the ford head gaskets and did not cheap out on the black onyx ones.... They are very unreliable. I did read in here somewhere twice about heat problems coming down to head gaskets, with your puking does sound like heads again.

To be sure search hero tester I think on here and properly check the pressure in your cooling system while warm and u dersome heavy load..... You tube it also.. That give you the for sure answer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 AM

The head were done under warranty by Ford, at around 90k miles (180K on truck now) Im assuming they used ARP and Ford gaskets. I found that out from the owner two times before me.
I dont run really rad tunes, I dont get on it much unless im merging with traffic or feeling like burning the road up and trust me there's no lack of power!
Im wondering could it be something as simple as a clogged Heater core and Over Filled DEGAS bottle?
I will test The cooling system pressure after work today, I'll also emory cloth the degas bottle and get a new cap while im there, and check for leaks.. in the engine bay around the coolant filter I remember hearing a hissing sound, I wont if one one he shut off valves has a leak on it? Would that make it suck air?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to 4u2nvme
You may want to check to see if Ford used ARP head studs. They most likly would not have used them when they did the work unless the person doing it paid the extra. You can tell if they were used by looking at this link.

ARP Head Bolt Photo usage Link

It explains how to tell if they were used. If they were not used and your using a tuner its a good chance they were stretched. The inline pressure gauge on the cooling system should let you know what is what with those heads. Good luck and I hope it is just something plugged, but does not sound great.

Good Idea on the cap if its the original cap, as that can be the Release Pin that starts the whole Grenade process of the heads counting down when it fails.

-NV

Last edited by 4u2nvme; 01-24-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM

I can confirm its Studded here's a picture

Also I bought a new cap it looks extremely different than the one I have on there. Also maybe when the shop flushed my coolant last summer they didnt turn the head on, so the crud in the heater core may just be blocking the coolants path through until I rev it up. Im replacing the cap, and the heater core today. We'll see if that's any luck. the more I think about it, the more I think (HOPE!!! lol) it is.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Sorry, heres the photo of the stud,
Puking Coolant/ Heater Barley works-6.0-head-stud.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.