Overfilled Oil - Actually not Drained - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overfilled Oil - Actually not Drained

Hey All- I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience to the following:

Just got the truck(2005 F250 6.0L) a few months ago and the time/mileage was due for an oil change. I was planning on taking the truck out of town for the weekend and was running short on time. Having not done an oil change on this Truck before, I opted to have the oil changed at Christian Brothers Automotive, which was close to the house. They did the work and when I picked up and drove the truck home I felt a slight vibration. The next time I drove the truck it seemed to vibrate a bit at idle, between idle and 1800RPM, with a slight loss of power. I was supposed to be going out town for the weekend, so I took it back to shop. At this point, I had already looked at the dip stick and noticed the oil level was beyond max, which I told the shop manager. He checked the oil and said it was a little high and proceeded to start and test the truck in the parking lot. From this quick look he felt the roughness and suggested I don't drive it over the weekend and bring it back in the following week so they could take a look at the injectors. Once I got back from my trip, I decided to lower the oil level to the right amount and replace (with OEM) the aftermarket POS filter they put on it. Needless to say I removed ~16 quarts of oil before the dip stick read between MAX and MIN. They never drained the oil.

Since the oil was lowered to the correct level, the truck seems to have returned to normal running condition. The power is back and the roughness and vibrations have gone away. The odd thing is while driving around with 30qt of oil in the system, never once did I notice the oil pressure gauge high or low. Also no fault codes or warning lights.

Any thought or comments of what I would be worried about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

You wouldn't have noticed it on the dash gauge because it is only a 6-7 psi switch. With that much oil, it could be hard on seals and would definitely aerate the oil. Good you caught the problem, but please ensure you do not have diesel in the oil.

You are probably going to be OK. however, ensure you make the company aware of the issue and that if something was damaged, that you will be calling on them for a claim.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The oil didn't smell like diesel fuel, but I haven’t tried the BIC lighter test.

The company did give a full refund on the oil change, wupp-de-do. The manager also made a slight reference to "other" damages, but I might have a fight on that front. They took my word that they overfilled it, even though I gave them the extra 4 gallons. One thing on my side, the manager did start the truck with the oil overfilled as well as after I got the oil to the correct amount. He admitted it was running completely different. His technician DID NOT fess up to forgetting to drain the oil.

Since I did get a refund, I probably should write and send a hard copy letter so it’s on file and so they don't forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.