Fuel delivery issue. Need advice!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel delivery issue. Need advice!!!!!

Over the past month Ive developed fuel delivery issues. First crank of the day has no issue. As I drive it around town the harder it is to start. Today I ran it at 70mph and it died. Got it to start again after multiple long cranks and limped it home. New filters 1 month ago and changed them today thinking it was a filter issue. That does not seem to be the issue. I will add that the normal sounds of the system priming seem to be absent.

I thought if a pump goes it just goes. So I have a couple of questions. (1)How many pumps are in the system? The dealer has told me that it could have two. One on the rail that I know about and one in the tank. (2) What electronics are tied to the system? Im guessing that its something simple, but not sure. Any advice would be appreciated. I hate throwing money at it, not knowing for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 PM

BTW.....The truck is a 2006, 6.0 with 250K mi.....its has a EGR delete kit. and the rest is stock. Ive replaced, IPR, 5 glow plugs and #3 injector. My mechanic buddy said possible HPOP, maybe on the fuel pump or o-ring issues....
Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhoffman View Post
Over the past month Ive developed fuel delivery issues. First crank of the day has no issue. As I drive it around town the harder it is to start. Today I ran it at 70mph and it died. Got it to start again after multiple long cranks and limped it home. New filters 1 month ago and changed them today thinking it was a filter issue. That does not seem to be the issue. I will add that the normal sounds of the system priming seem to be absent.

I thought if a pump goes it just goes. So I have a couple of questions. (1)How many pumps are in the system? The dealer has told me that it could have two. One on the rail that I know about and one in the tank. (2) What electronics are tied to the system? Im guessing that its something simple, but not sure. Any advice would be appreciated. I hate throwing money at it, not knowing for sure.
What is the fuel pressure? There is a test port on the fuel filter housing on top of the engine.
There is just one pump, located under the truck, below the drivers side seat area, hanging on the frame rail. No pump in the tank for any 6.0, so I don't know why your dealer didn't know that. There is nothing electronic in the tank besides the fuel level sender.
The electronics are: Power and ground to the pump and a couple wires for the "water in fuel" sensor.

My suggestion is to test the fuel pressure, if you are convinced it is a fuel related issue. If you have not installed the updated "blue" fuel pressure regulator spring, now would be a good time to do it.
Next, if your issue is only present while the engine is hot, that points more towards an HPO system leak than a fuel pressure problem. You would have to get an electronic gauge set on there and monitor the IPR% and the ICP psi to help determine if that is the case. Those will just tell you IF you have a HPO system leak, and not tell you what is leaking in the system. You would have to pressure test the system to determine which component is leaking.
As far as the HPOP, the pump in the 05-up trucks is a much better piece than in previous years. This isn;t to say that they don't fail, but that a failure is much more unlikely than previous years. However, the fitting that attaches the HPOP to the HPO system in the 05-up trucks is an STC fitting. This fitting will fail in every engine, it is just a matter of when. The replacement fitting is a straight fitting, which will not fail.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:36 PM

Great. I suspect that I have a HPO issue. The problem has only been present when hot. I will change the spring as you recommended. Ive heard that before. I have a friend with the appropriate equipment to test. I'll let you know Friday what it was. Im sure you hit the nail on the head. I read somewhere that there are o-rings that can fail. What is that referring to? Thanks so much for your input!! Best Regards, Sean
Old 01-20-2014, 05:01 PM
information regurgitator

There are dummy plugs in the oil rail and there are standpipes on either side of the engine that have o-rings on them that fail. The new parts have a teflon ring on them to reinforce the o-ring.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:49 PM

I recently changed #3 FI, and changed the dummy plug with a new one as you describe, I wonder if i did something wrong. There was a short plug about 3 inches long and one that was two pieces and much longer. The video i watched only indicated that the short one needed to be replaced. Thats the one i replaced, not the long one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.