A very sooty '06' - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A very sooty '06'

I purchased a 2006 PSD and on the way home from the dealer one of the rocker arms came off. ( truck was driven about 10 miles like this) The truck has allot os soot coming out off the tailpipe (soot all over the wall in my garage) Since this happened on the way home from buying the truck I don't know if this is normal or not. I assuming this is not normal for a new PSD since my 97 PSD never blow soot like this. Ford replaced rocker arm and said everything is fine. Anyone have any comments or suggestions, is there any dianostic test I should have Ford perform. Thanks John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 01:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Something Is Definatley Wrocg With It And You Should Take It Into The Dealer Asap! Being New It Shouldn't Be Sooting Like That And How Did The Rocker Arm Come Off? Sounds Like A Bad Truck!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

WOW...!

What a freak think to happen..! Now this engine is a double valve rocker assembly, one rocker does two valves, someone correct me if I am wrong as I am only reading about it, I have not torn a 6.0 down yet.. (Hopefully I never will)...

Two questions, and maybe I can give you some Engineering answers...
1) Was it intake or exhaust valves that the rocker arm came off of??
2) Is it still sooting?

If Ford says it is fixed and there is no damage, it might just be a case of running it a few miles to seat in rings and such...

From all my studies, I ran mine about 1000 miles light loading, 2nd thousand a bit more, and started heating it up by running up the rpm a few times a day every couple of hundred miles, in the second thousand. I did this in a lower gear, first few days up to 3000... Then a couple of hundred miles later I ran it up a few days to 3200 and engine braked down to 2000 rpm to do it again..... Then a couple of hundred miles later, up to 3400... Then about 3600. This heats up the engine from about its norm of 192-94 F to about 204-206 F.... At about 2000 miles I started running it up to the 3500-3600 rpm and engine braking back down to 2000 rpm a few times. After about four times or so, engine temp got up to about 208 F. Then at 2000 miles or so, I hooked up a two ton trailer, and ran around with it for a day, romping it a little now and then as I entered the Highway... This has resulted in a good early ring seat in, or at least a good start on it. Now at about 3000 miles, it seems at least to have the rings fairly well seated in...

From my studies this is about the best way to run it in and seat the rings good. It is also recommended by some Engineering sources, and articles they have written on the best way to run it in. You don't want to baby it, or the rings can take 10,000 or more to seat in if you do not get on it a bit...

Anyway, I might just copy this and make it a Post,..... Naw, people should see it. I know little about the 6 litre, so I study a lot.. But I am a 55 year old Rig Junkie, and a fair engineer on diesels, and before I panicked about your engine, I think I would run it in and see if you have a problem. If you answer the two questions above I might have more for you..

Best Regards, Ranger down under...
Old 11-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Jon

Several

Ive seen this several times. But it should be cleared up by now. Take it back. Tell them to check it out a little better.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpowerstroke View Post
I purchased a 2006 PSD and on the way home from the dealer one of the rocker arms came off. ( truck was driven about 10 miles like this) The truck has allot os soot coming out off the tailpipe (soot all over the wall in my garage) Since this happened on the way home from buying the truck I don't know if this is normal or not. I assuming this is not normal for a new PSD since my 97 PSD never blow soot like this. Ford replaced rocker arm and said everything is fine. Anyone have any comments or suggestions, is there any dianostic test I should have Ford perform. Thanks John.
Get rid of it NOW. Do not wait. You just purchased it, and no, a rocker arm falling off is not normal. If you do like I did and give them chance after chance after chance to fix it, they will run you past the lemon law milage or time and then tell you to kiss their beepbeepbeep. I'd go park that truck at the dealership and tell him I wanted another one no questions asked. If it can't make it home being new off the lot, be danged if I'd own it.

Skipper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.