HPOP Leak? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP Leak?

Hey guys and gals, been a long time lurker and love the site! Ok so to my problem, I have a 2006 F250 6.0 CCSB 4x4 with about 126000 miles and bone stock except for a coolant filter and an edge cts, and a fuel pressure gauge. Sorry for the long winded post coming up but here goes....

The problem started New Years Eve when I went to start the truck and it would not start, just cranked and cranked. When I was attempting to start the truck I was watching the edge cts and noticed that my ICP was only getting to 364 psi and the IPR was reading 85% while cranking. FICM was 48.5 volts while cranking and battery volts were at 12.3. So I ended up getting the truck towed home and have been slowly working on it since then.

I first unplugged the ICP sensor and still no start. Went and bought a new ICP and same result, no start. So next I checked to make sure that I am getting low pressure oil in the filter housing and the housing fills up almost immediately while the truck is cranking. Next up I decided to remove the IPR valve and what I found was interesting, the screen and o-rings were not on the IPR. I used my boroscope and could not see the IPR screen inside the HPOP cover/housing. So next step I bought a new IPR valve installed and and tried starting the truck...same result no start but the ICP pressure went up to 425psi and the IPR still read 85% while cranking.

So now to today- I tried the HPOP leak test by using the ICP port to feed shop air in and made a pigtail to command the IPR closed. I had a slight hiss and some air escaping from the oil fill tube on the passenger side of the engine, and no other sounds/leaks that I can tell from anywhere else on the engine. Am I right at thinking I have a leaking dummy plug or stand pipe? Prior to this, I have had no issues with the truck, always ran fine and no black/white smoke what so ever.

Really need some help here, I am getting married in 2 weeks and we were planning on pulling the 5'er out to the west coast for our honeymoon. Again sorry for the long winded post. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The HPOP system is a closed system, any air noise is because of a bad real/o-ring/gasket to cause air or oil to escape.

DIAGNOSING A 6.0L HIGH PRESSURE PUMP!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.