6.0 IPR issue. Need help ASAP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 IPR issue. Need help ASAP!

I have an 05 f250 6.0, the other day my truck stalled a few times on my way home. The truck would start right back up. I have a scangauge and everything checks out except my IPR duty cycle. My ICP has never gone below 570psi but sometimes my IPR duty cycle will seem to get stuck right on 77.6% it has done it while idling and while on the freeway, but sometimes I'll go out and drive the truck a few hours later or the next day and my ipr is at 20% at idle and in the 40s on the freeway like normal. I've heard a high ipr usually means hpop leak (stc fitting or dummy plugs) but mine have been replaced and the issue seems to be intermittent. If I had an hpop issue there's no way my icp would stay that high. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I cannot find anything on here similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would guess harness problem, a HPO leak will not fix itself.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM

Harness to the IPR valve? I can't figure out if it's just a bad sensor or what. Last night while I was sitting at the gas station waiting for the fuel to pump, the truck was idling and the ipr duty cycle went up from 26% to 77.6% within 30 seconds while the ICP stayed right around 570-600psi. I left the gas station and got into the pedal a little bit and it seemed to reset the duty cycle down to 38% at about 2000rpm with icp at about 1500-1600psi. When this happens I don't really notice a loss in power or anything but when I started my truck up this morning it kinda had a rough idle but on the way home from work this afternoon everything was fine. 20% ipr duty cycle with 580psi at idle. I gotta figure this out because the truck needs to make a trip to Georgia and Alabama at the end of February. Please help anyone who might have an idea or know someone who might know. Thanks
Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 PM

There is an input causing PCM to attempt to duty cycle IPR high. PCM actually has ZERO idea where the IPR valve actually is. IPR duty cycle is a command. PCM uses ICP sensor as its monitor, increasing IPR duty cycle until it sees its expected result. Most likely cause is a faulty ICP sensor and/or connector. Depending on how fast your scan device refreshes, you will not see the spike or dip in ICP that caused PCM to command IPR high, and if its within a specified parameter, it will not set a DTC. If shutting the engine off resets the system, I would be even more confident that is what you have going on. You can use a lab scope to graph ICP voltage to verify. If the IPR harness was open or shorted, you would have significant power issues, and if the valve was physically stuck, you would see IPR duty cycle drop, as PCM would attempt to put ICP where it wants.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:15 PM

So you think it's a icp sensor and not the ipr valve?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Most likely. Disconnect the ICP sensor. Inspect the sensor and connector. If its oily inside, replace the sensor and connector. Use the FORD stuff. I put 3 borg warner ICP sensors on one truck. Additionally, start the truck with the sensor unplugged. If your readings are similar to what you see when the problem occurs, I would say that you found your culprit.
The Following User Says Thank You to winnersdieseltech For This Useful Post:
BRichards118 (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Ok I'll give it a try and post results. I greatly appreciate the help. I'm new to the site but have gotten my way around a few 6.0s but never saw or heard of these symptoms
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM

No Problem. Fixed a few weird ones for sure. These things will teach you new tricks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.