2003 190K got hot towing swap for an 05???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2003 190K got hot towing swap for an 05????

there is oil in the truck. i was towing a 16foot flat bed with a supercab short bed 4x4 6.0. rolled over 190k during this tow.

truck is stock besides airaid intake and an exhaust from cat back.

ficm replaced a year and a half ago 3 injectors 2 years ago.

regular maintenace with rotella 15 40

should i mess with trying to trouble shoot this engine or just swap out for another engine i have with 100k???

i have a laundry list of parts around so i should be able to make it work.

or if i should just do an oil pump and head gaskets in my truck i just dont have the money or time to wait for the heads.

thanks guys any input is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would pull out your current motor, drop the new/100k one in and slowly rebuild and bullet proof the one your having issues with. That way you can take your time and not have to drop a large chunk of change all at once on bullet proofing your motor and since the motor will be outta the truck it will be way easier to work on. I don't mind working on the 6.0s when the cabs off or when the motors out but working on them with the motor in is like pouring honey in my ears and sticking me on a ant hill lol
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 6.0 is built to run for 300k miles without needing a major overhaul. So at 190k that motors got a lot of life in it. Over heating could be from something as simple as a failed t-stat or a slipping water pump, a failed degass bottle cap, a clogged egr etc. Have you tried any trouble shooting?
Do you have a monitor?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since you say you don't have to time to wait on the heads your not going to have much time to do anyother mods.
SO ya may as well swap her out if she is complete and running.

Keep in mind with a 03 to 05 swap you need to bring the ficm and pcm from the 05 with it as well as the engine harness. 05 uses a different strategy and has some sensor changes necessitateing the harness swap.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No white smoke Out the tail pipe no smoke at all actually. But it got hot then temp gauge went off and then I lost oil pressure and truck shut off. Yesterday I pulled everything apart and found that half way down from where the fan clutch plugs in was cut.yt?
Attached Thumbnails
2003 190K got hot towing swap for an 05????-20140116_112533.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 05:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was just trying to think easiest route. But if I need another computer ficm and harness I might as well spend the money on the 03.

Also the truck I was towing back
03 200k mi had coolant in the oil, or water, but it was milky thick and nasty drained it. Filled with new oil ran for a while no more milky just slight tinge from leftover. And there is still coolant in the truck. Could that be a cracked block head or head gasket or just an oil cooler??? Any input is great. It runs but is low on power once in drive or reverse. No idea how long it has been sitting but truck is beat up. Got it cheap. .....luckily. to bad to.tow killed my truck..

Any input on hpops??
Attached Thumbnails
2003 190K got hot towing swap for an 05????-20140116_110543.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.