wierd ficm issue. and no start. Please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rick1067

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wierd ficm issue. and no start. Please help

I bought an 06 f250 from a older guy not running. I can see he had studded it but looks like a stock egr. I am having ficm problems. My voltage on my scangauge is reading 12v for the one setting and then the 48v one drops as soon as I turn my key and gets to single digits in a few seconds. I cycled key on and off a few times and this still happens. So far I replaced the ficm both power and logic side from BPD( because my other ficm was trashed and gave me no readings), then the ficm relay which I believe is number 304, and now I just got 2 new batteries because 1 was going bad. Im running out of ideas and money lol. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 04:41 AM
aka MacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksobiech282 View Post
I bought an 06 f250 from a older guy not running. I can see he had studded it but looks like a stock egr. I am having ficm problems. My voltage on my scangauge is reading 12v for the one setting and then the 48v one drops as soon as I turn my key and gets to single digits in a few seconds. I cycled key on and off a few times and this still happens. So far I replaced the ficm both power and logic side from BPD( because my other ficm was trashed and gave me no readings), then the ficm relay which I believe is number 304, and now I just got 2 new batteries because 1 was going bad. Im running out of ideas and money lol. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance
Well your on the right track by ensuring your batteries and alternator are both good. You can check the power being supplied to the FICM by removing the FICM. There will be three plugs located under the FICM. This number for this wiring harness is 12B637. The plug closest to the cab is connector C1388A and controls Fuel Injectors for Cylinders 1,4,6 and 7. The middle plug is connector C1388B and controls Fuel Injectors for Cylinders 2,3,5 and 8. The third plug (the one closest to the radiator) is connector C1388C which is for the Power, Ground, Relay Control and Communication. Inside the third plug you should see some numbers that identify the sockets within the plug. Socket #1 is a Ground. You can confirm this by checking continuity between that socket and the negative contact on the battery. Socket #7 is the FICM Logic Power and Socket # 24 is for Power from the ignition switch. Either of those two should give you the Voltage being supplied to the FICM with the Key On Engine Off.

Or take a reading from the batteries. That is what is being supplied to the FICM. The other way also lets you check the wiring.

To manually check the voltage out of the FICM on an 06, watch the video. I know you have scangauge and that good but I like the "Oldschool" methods. They never lie.

These steps will let you isolate the problem to see if the issue is before the FICM, After the FICM or with the FICM itself.
twoicebergs likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 AM

Good info!!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the info I'll check it out. Do you know which post or ports if you will for the ficm relay are hot when key is on?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 PM

I'm getting closer. The number 5 post on the ficm relay under the fuse box should always be hot and mine isnt
Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 AM
aka MacGyver

Quote:
Thanks for the info I'll check it out. Do you know which post or ports if you will for the ficm relay are hot when key is on?

This is your Battery Junction Box. Check the fuses in the pic and make sure each are good and have continuity. With the ignition switch in the KOEO position, you should be able to test for power between the contacts where each fuse sits.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:32 AM
aka MacGyver

Quote:
I'm getting closer. The number 5 post on the ficm relay under the fuse box should always be hot and mine isnt
You should also have power comming in on the #1 post.

Last edited by rick1067; 01-17-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the help rick and everyone. Ended up being the guy I bought the truck from had the 50 amp fuse in the wrong spot
Old 01-18-2014, 11:03 AM
aka MacGyver

Quote:
Thanks for the help rick and everyone. Ended up being the guy I bought the truck from had the 50 amp fuse in the wrong spot
Your welcome. I like the fact that people can jump on here and help each other as opposed to going to a mechanic who might rake you over the coals over something simple.

I would check the owners manual to ensure all of the other fuses and relays are in their correct place as well. I would assume if one is out of place..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.