Radiator hoses not bleeding off! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Radiator hoses not bleeding off!

I'm still a Powerstroke ROOKIE, and I have been tripping out on my coolant system because of the pressure in the radiator hoses are not bleeding off as fast as I would think they should, I can drive my truck in the morning for a hour or two and park the rest of the day and in the morning it will still be pressurized! once I bleed the degas cap the hoses are soft again!! Any ideas?? Changed the thermostat and same thing! at least I know my t-stat is new!! Shoouldn't they bleed off faster than this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

No that is normal.
What is not normal is if its blowing out of the cap. lol
Make sure you keep the coolant level at the lower mark on the tank if you have two marks.

Beeing you say you're a Rookie let me give you some advice: get some gauges on it. VERY IMPORTANT to monitor coolant and oil temps on the 6.0.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
No that is normal.
What is not normal is if its blowing out of the cap. lol
Make sure you keep the coolant level at the lower mark on the tank if you have two marks.

Beeing you say you're a Rookie let me give you some advice: get some gauges on it. VERY IMPORTANT to monitor coolant and oil temps on the 6.0.
Thank you buddy! Sorry so long to get back to ya.... I am a rookie in the sense that I'm new to working on my own truck I work on an oil rig in North Dakota so I'm used to working on big motors just not mine! lol But I do have a SCT Livewire installed and watch all those things religiously when I drive!! I just figured they would bleed off faster than that. Hasn't been puking out the degas cap ever since I stopped over filling the coolant. and this CAT EC-1 coolant you run, is that the purple or the red stuff? My buddy works for wheeler and we are going to flush my coolant system and fill it with the PURPLE stuff from CAT!! Good stuff??
Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 PM

Yea that is good stuff also the Shell Ultra has very good reviews so I would go with one of those two myself.
When you do the flush don't use acid. I have read countless posts of horror stories about it knocking everything loose in the block cooling system mostly my sand and some cast iron only to plug the oil cooler. Talked with a guy last week who used the Fleetgaurd cooling system cleaner which is like VC-9 Restore and his oil cooler is toast.
Anyways this is what I did to my truck and a friends when we switched the Gold out for the ELC.
Remove thermostat and completely drain the cooling system pull the block plugs too. A ball socket Allen wrench will fit into the passenger side plug do you don't have to pull the starter. Anyways drain it and run water trough the hoses to get as much Ford Gold out as you can. Then fill with water and 2/3 cup of liquid Cascade dishwasher soap.
Take the truck for a 30 minute drive to heat it up as much as you can. I got up to around 180 degrees and that was as high as it would go without the thermostat.
Pull all the hoses and block plugs including the heater core hoses along with all the hoses to the coolant tank. Run water in both directions to everything all hoses and into the thermostat housing etc. refill and run truck 10-15 at idle then dump it again and flush everything again same way. This time refill with distilled water and run 10-15 minutes at idle. Drain everything again block plugs too of coarse. Refill one last time run for another 10-15 minutes drain again for the last time.
Pour in 3-1/2 gallons of your EC-1 of choice and top off with distilled water.
The Cascade will break down the silicates from the Ford Gold plus it will clean the engine and radiator etc without etching the iron or hurt the rubber plastic in the system.
I forgot to mention reinstalling the thermostat get a new Motorcraft one ONLY they are $30.00 at the dealer. I did my buddies truck and mine almost 2 years ago now and both of our Delta Temps are 3-4 degrees still today.
One thing I did notice with my truck is how much better the heater works. I can light feet on fire now and couldn't do that before. So yea it cleaned out my system for sure.

There are plenty of diesel shops that do it this exact way and I am glad I listened to a mechanic when I was ready to do the switch in my truck because it works and works without over cleaning and creating a problem.
My Cat EC1 is clear as glass today but being I am coming up on 2 years I will change it out soon with some new stuff for safety sake.
It is the Red Coolant. Looks like Kool Aid to me and it is quite thick. My friend bought something from ORiellys and it was really thin like water. Not sure of the difference but I went with Cat because that is what International runs.

Good Luck on the flush.

Last edited by mhatlen; 01-14-2014 at 08:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mhatlen For This Useful Post:
Bullmastiff07 (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 PM

Thanks again buddy!! :smiley:
Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 AM

hey one other question....Can i use bottled water to top off? Or use DISTILLED only?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM

You only want distilled water, reason for this is its mineral free. Back years ago water was what every manufacturer used until they figured out all the radiator issues and cooling system problems were coming from the water.
Distilled is sterile water and it won't plug up the radiator and oil cooler etc etc.

Cheap WalMart distilled water is as good as the rest.
So yes distilled only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, radiator hose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.