Chugging and blowing black smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 128
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chugging and blowing black smoke

Well guys I was right down the road from my girlfriends dad's house. And my truck went to chugging and blowing black smoke, I got diesel 2 days ago. Have drove it a little bit but not much. Is it possible that I could've got some bad diesel that has water in it or something? Anybody else have this problem? Please help. thanks guys!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florence sc
Posts: 988
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
It could be bad fuel, you can drain your water separator and look for contamination. Have you checked your ficm voltage to see what it is reading with a multimeter? If not you can google ficm voltage check and find some links. This what I would try first. You can also check the map sensor hose for damage or clogs. This is located on the passenger side of the motor just above the evaporator and the hose goes down to the intake remove and clear any obstructions. Keep us posted .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 128
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedemon6.0 View Post
It could be bad fuel, you can drain your water separator and look for contamination. Have you checked your ficm voltage to see what it is reading with a multimeter? If not you can google ficm voltage check and find some links. This what I would try first. You can also check the map sensor hose for damage or clogs. This is located on the passenger side of the motor just above the evaporator and the hose goes down to the intake remove and clear any obstructions. Keep us posted .
No I haven checked the ficm. I don't really no nothen about these to be honest, I was searching on google and saw something about an egr valve being wet causing same issue so I pulled the wire off mine and it is wet. Also saw something about the turbo. Hope it's not that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florence sc
Posts: 988
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
It could be a an egr valve as we'll pull it and clean if intake is wet it could be a blown egr cooler but I'm not familiar with that at all. I do know that if your egr valve is sticking it would cause the symptoms that you are describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 128
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well I pulled the egr valve has some pretty good carbon on it, but it didn't look to be stuck opened. Before I start the truck I looked into the hole with a flashlight and it was dry then started it. It had a little bit of water like residue, I put my ratchet In there to get a little of it and it looked almost like tar, haven't got to clean the valve and install yet but will probably do tomorrow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 128
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well i found my problem, i had my girlfriends dad and uncle look at it and drive it, and they are diesel mechanics, and they both said it was a boost leak so i popped the hood and he found the little hose coming from the turbo and it was split so i got that fixed and it still did it so we unplugged the egr valve and it ran great!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-19-2014, 06:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florence sc
Posts: 988
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Glad to hear, so you are replacing the egr valve right or deleting the cooler and valve. I would suggest if you don't live in a state that has emission laws i would delete the egr cooler and valve. Egr valve are know to fail often, just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 128
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedemon6.0 View Post
Glad to hear, so you are replacing the egr valve right or deleting the cooler and valve. I would suggest if you don't live in a state that has emission laws i would delete the egr cooler and valve. Egr valve are know to fail often, just a thought.
Yeah thanks man, and im just gonna leave it unplugged for now cause I was reading on the net and it said it wouldnt do no harm, and mabey do a egr delete and new oil cooler a little later down the line. Just want to make sure nothings gonna go wrong. Cause if it does im just gonna have to trade it off and go back to gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,729
Thanks: 90
Thanked 188 Times in 151 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreFx4 View Post
Yeah thanks man, and im just gonna leave it unplugged for now cause I was reading on the net and it said it wouldnt do no harm, and mabey do a egr delete and new oil cooler a little later down the line. Just want to make sure nothings gonna go wrong. Cause if it does im just gonna have to trade it off and go back to gas.

The issue you might have with the 03 and unplugged EGR valve will depend on the PCM strategy. The later VXAP1 and VXAP2 strategies with the valve unplugged causes the VGT to not go thru the VGT vane sweep cycle at idle. Other possible issues may be fan not reaching full RPM when commanded.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florence sc
Posts: 988
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
The issue you might have with the 03 and unplugged EGR valve will depend on the PCM strategy. The later VXAP1 and VXAP2 strategies with the valve unplugged causes the VGT to not go thru the VGT vane sweep cycle at idle. Other possible issues may be fan not reaching full RPM when commanded.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I agree with Lilpooh there has to be some function to the egr valve, it can not be good to disconnect it without deleting the egr cooler but that is just me.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors