oil temp very high - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil temp very high

So again I trusted my F350 to take me and my family away on a little vacation and it gives me problems. On the way to Orlando, I noticed that my Edge Insight had my EOT on the high side. It has always been a 15-20* difference from my coolant but three seperate mechanics have told me that its possibly a bad sensor that was never checked when they replaced the oil cooler and removed the erg 1year ago. We stopped for lunch and that's when I noticed that there was fluid on the front differential and suspension. I added coolant to the d-gas bottle, it was at the low mark and had little issues the rest of the trip. Today we drove to the college for a tour and on the way back to the apartment the truck temp started to climb again. I pulled over and opened the hood to see steam from the d-gas cap. I waited to the truck cooled down again and head to a AutoZone to get a new cap. The coolant temp entered reached above 200 but the oil temp was in the 230's. Drove it back to the apartment again and the coolent went to 208 and Eot at 225. Tomorrow we are leaving for home which is about 2 hours south of Orlando. I figuired if I stop every 30 min and let t cool down that the Temperature should stay low. But could I have a bad head gasket? Or could the oil cooler be clogged again? I really don't want it towed home again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say your oil cooler is plugging up again more than a head gasket issue.
With a head gasket issue your coolant temps would be higher, but ya can't rule it out completely.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the advise Dannyboy, it drove fine on the way home, EOT about 210 and coolant at 190 which is normal. Hopefully it was just a bad d-gas cap. Going to change the oil and filter and check the compression just to be on the safe side. If its still a issue then I'll bebate on tearing the motor down and changing the oil cooler. I only have 6 payment left then she'll be paid off. Hopefully then I'll have some extra money for studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.