Bad FICM? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad FICM?

Hi All,
I am a new Powerstroke owner who just recently purchased a 2004 F-350 4X4 CCLB Lariat. However I have a question. It has been cold here over the last few day, to the tune of 17 degrees. I notice that when its warmer, say 40 degrees plus, that I can hear my injectors chatter before I start the truck. Now, after I let the glow plugs cycle, I hear no chatter. The truck will start, but it has a high pitched "puny" sound compared to the harder hitting sound I get when it is warmer outside. My guess is that I might have a FICM going bad, but I'm not sure if its just because its cold outside or not. I hope I have done an adequate job of explaining the problem. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site! If you dont have a monitor then you are truely guessing as you stated. A good monitor is a must.
Im gonna just assume the diffrence you are hearing is the thickness of the oil. When its cooler outside the oil the oil is thicker and the injectors/motor is quieter upon start up.
What oil are you running?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey kinnisoj,
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure on the oil. Like I said, I just purchased it so I have not had an opportunity to change the oil yet. The man I purchased it from had it changed right before I bought it. What you are saying makes sense. The truck runs fine when I am out on the road and I always let it warm up to operating temperature before driving. Once its started, it runs smooth. What oil do you suggest? I have read several strings about several brands. Seems a Rotella-D full synthetic is pretty popular. Do you have any suggestions on what kind of monitor to buy?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:18 AM
aka MacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiladan View Post
Hey kinnisoj,
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure on the oil. Like I said, I just purchased it so I have not had an opportunity to change the oil yet. The man I purchased it from had it changed right before I bought it. What you are saying makes sense. The truck runs fine when I am out on the road and I always let it warm up to operating temperature before driving. Once its started, it runs smooth. What oil do you suggest? I have read several strings about several brands. Seems a Rotella-D full synthetic is pretty popular. Do you have any suggestions on what kind of monitor to buy?
katiladan, also ensure you run some type of additive in the oil and fuel. This will prevent other issues that could arise. To check the FICM without any type of monitoring equipment, check out this video;

Also do some research as to what type of monitoring system would best fit your needs.

Last edited by rick1067; 01-07-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 AM

op i also just had my PSD cherry popped. I am taking everything step by step based on what I can afford at the time. I recently just bought an Edge CTS and hopefully will have it by tomorrow to play with it this weekend. I didn't mind the price because its big, touchscreen, and i can hook up a back up cam and egt probe to it in the future. Others say the scangaugeII is a good buy for a really good price for starters, but like i said money wasn't an option at this time. Some really good articles on the site and a couple of them about fuel additives and oil. I will be going to walmart today and buying some tcwIII 2 stroke and will add just that on my fill up tomorrow and then next fill up i will add just a fuel additive (diesel kleen/optilube seems to be the most popular) and then both the next one and compare. Its rough being a noob to PSD because if your like me every noise, clank, even long cranking tends to worry me. It has taken everything not to sit here and create 40 threads with all the questions i have.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:36 AM

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have a voltage meter.Watch this video.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiladan View Post
Hey kinnisoj,
I runt the Rotella t6 with a helping of Archoil. I run the Rotella because its easy to find at any wal mart. And I ran the Archoil after doing a bit of research here on the site. And man o man the truck just seemed to reeley do so much better with it. Well heck ever since I did this and got my FICM up and healthy I havent needed to plug the truck in since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.