2005 6.0 turbo problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 turbo problems

Hey guys, I've owned my truck now for about 3-4 months, loves it, it's a 2005 f350 4x4 crew long box lariet fx4, it has 136000 miles / 219000kms, I bought it off the first owner, it was a highway queen since day one, 3050 eng hours. I've noticed when towing if I'm going up a hill, not being hard on it just normal easy towing, the turbo will sometimes make a boost spike noise, very hard to explain but when it does it I think the boost drops quickly, and then spools fast again to normal 18-20lbs boost or so. It's stock with a new egr valve aem intake, and 5" diamond eye exhaust that I recently put on. Now another strange thing, after fueling my excitement for the noise from no muffler, if I have it at full throttle for a gear or two and back down to normal driving it doesn't seem to want to make any boost. Seems like it's all motor, boost gauge stays around 0 even when I roll into the throttle more. After maybe 25-30 seconds it spools up again to normal 5-10lbs normal driving. It's a hard thing to explain lol... Could this be a sign of my turbo giving up on life? Sticking vanes? Or faulty solenoid? It's very annoying. Has anyone heard of this or had the same/similar problem? Any info or suggestions would be great. I'm running the ford 10-30 HD power stroke oil and eom filters not that it should have anything to do I with this. Stumped. Thanks!

Last edited by Bremcoe; 01-03-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like maybe your unison ring is sticking... The unison rings on the turbo are known to do that. inspect the unison ring and check for play on the shaft of the turbo ( back-and-forth and up and down) if you got just a little play up and down that's ok. While your there clean the turbo and the vanes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-04-2014, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck had similar issues. If you have a code reader pull codes. Mine was throwing a code for the ebp sensor. It can be removed along with the tube and cleaned as well. I just replaced mine and solved my problem. Something simple to check before digging into the turbo.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just to clarify it was a soft code so no check engine light. Its possible to still have codes without the light . Hope this helps
Old 01-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did a scan today. no codes came up for it. mystery continues.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how do I go about cleaning the unison ring? im thinking the whole vane unison ring system is sticking?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you have a whiz wheel handy and some of the cookies for it( sorry don't know what they are really called) that's what I use. You just clean both side of the unison ring and checked for any cracks, there is a tab that holds the ring in place make sure to check that.when they stick most of the time it's there. You may have to buy a new one from ford. Also clean clean the vanes and where they seat ( same way u clean the ring, although it's a little harder to clean) Monday I can send you a pic when I get back to work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump.
Had a similar problem today hauling my camper back to the house. I was towing over pretty hilly terrain and whati would calla sound likea clutch fan going out was making. Well a little few miles down the road it powered down and the little tool icon popped up. Before I got completely off the road it shut smooth off. If I push the skinny pedal nothing. Shut it off and bout 15 mins later it started back up andi limped it to the ford dealership 25 miles down the road the scanned for codes and pulled an over boost code. Not making to crowd THE OP thread but it sound very similar to what am having.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My truck is doing the same thing as the OP truck any info would be great. OP did you clean your turbo? Did it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.