03 6.0 no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AshevilleEngine.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 no start

So I've got an 03 F250 6.0 and this thing has been a nightmare. When I got it the truck had 61000 miles and two burnt pistons. It's basically got a brand new engine in it now. I'll go ahead and list everything replaced so far:

Completely rebuilt engine bored .040 over
ARP studs
Engine Oil Cooler and screen (screen was ripped)
Rebuilt injectors putting out 155cc (a lil higher than stock)
HPOP and all tubing from HPOP to oilrails
Replaced seals behind the nipples in the oil rails
IPR and ICP
Waterpump
Installed coolant filtration system
EGR delete with up pipe

Since doing all of this work the truck runs great. Easily has enough power to light up the 38 tires on it. It'll also run all day no probs... until you turn it off. Then I have to wait an hour or more for the truck to cool down before it will restart. When cold starting, the the pressure coming from the HPOP is right at the desired (if i remember right around 648-650). When warm starting, it drops to 450 and wont turn over. We cant find a leak anywhere and have no idea what is causing this. Again it has a brand new HPOP. Any Ideas?

Also, my batteries aren't the best. I plan to replace them but want this issue resolved before I start dumping more money in it. My thinking is if it was the batteries, it wouldn't start in the first place... but I could be wrong. Oh and I'm running Rotella 15w-40 synthetic oil with the motorcraft oil filter.

Last edited by wmleeiii; 01-02-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: More info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Air leak test the hpo system. Def sounds like a hpo leak. Could be injector seal or even a cut oring on the hpop seals

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Last week we pulled the top injector seals and the seals behind the nipples on the oil rail (the last thing in the HPO system not replaced) and replaced those. It looked like there may have been a small leak there so we replaced them all to be sure. After, we did a leak test and couldn't find one. Literally the entire HPO system has been replaced, so it's all brand new. I agree though, it's acting like a leak in the HPO system. We just can't find it.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:27 PM

Whats the ipr dc when cranking warm.. I had lots of hpo issues last winter. Replaced hpop, icp, ipr.. One month later that hpop blew out the backing plate. The ipr was replaced a week later because of electrical issues, ran like a charm ever since. Moral of this story, dont rule out fords oem parts

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-06-2014, 05:26 AM

I just replaced an engine in a truck that I own, replacing everything under the hood. Only 90 miles down the road the HPOP went out which is the reason that we don't sell pumps, injectors, etc. with our reman engines. I don't want people blaming us for someone elses poor quality control.
My HPOP came directly from the Ford dealer and I've had two other customers that I know of who have received bad HPOPs withing the past 6 months.
ps_lane01 likes this.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 AM

check the ipr screen. after extensive surgery like that, you are bound to get some gunk lodged in there.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 AM

When the ICP pressure drops what is the IPR doing, does it fluctuate as well?

I am trying to determine if the pressure loss is due to a mechanical issue or is the PCM simply telling the IPR to lower pressure for some reason.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM

when pressure drops and it shouldnt, the ipr duty cycle should increase in percentage. the higher the percentage, the more closed off the ipr is directing more hp oil to the injectors. if you have low oil pressure and low ipr duty cycle, that would be a pcm issue. because the duty cycle you are reading is what the pcm is asking for, not what the ipr is giving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.