2004 Ford 6.0 Wont/Trouble Starting Idles and Dies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help...2004 Ford 6.0 Wont/Trouble Starting Idles and Dies

I have a 2004 Ford F250 SD PSD 6.0 on NYE driving home from work i noticed pulling up in the driveway an very minor erratic idle. Reminded me to change fuel filter. The next Evening came out to start the truck and wouldn't start so i figured id change the fuel filters. Changed them and it fired right up immediately. let it idle for 10-15min

Took it for a test drive down the street and it died a 100yrds or so it felt like it was trying but wouldn't start thought maybe air in the system but had fuel in the secondary. Finally got it started and drove it home. after than it ran for another 20min fine.

I did notice over the last few weeks that the idiot OP gauge was taking longer than usual to come up to pressure. and that it will start sometimes after about 30seconds of cranking the op gauge comes up and it starts and runs. once started it stumbles occasionallyif the rpms are up it will recover but idle it dies.

I got out the auto engenuity and tested the Injection pressure, Ficm Volt, and Fuel pump%.

At cranking the HPOP reads mid to high threes when it wont start and it tries when pressure jumps to 400 or above. When it does start it jumps to 12-1400 and drops down to about 6-700.

The IPR Reads 13.5 key on and 70-85% running.

Ficm is 48 running and occasionally drops to 46.5-47

Fuel pump% is at 99.8% always when running.

I did noticed that the fuel pump seams to be running for a long time on prime. and flutters when priming ive never noticed that sound before.

Sorry for the long post but i wanted to be thorough.

I dont know where to start looking any suggestions would be appreciated.

i ordered the socket for the ipr today and will have it tomorrow to check the screen.

Last edited by 6.0literJosh; 01-04-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was thinking today and over the last few weeks maybe 2 or 3 times i would start the truck and go inside to warm up. and i would come out and it was off. Didn't think much of it at the time. but now it makes sense....

With my truck being an 04 that means i do not have a STC fitting correct? If so what else could be causing the leak from up there on the top of the housing it showed up about the same time as the intermittent dying.

And being that i have a recent leak on the upper bell housing im guessing that there is damage to the Rear engine cover.... Does this always have to be replaced or has anyone had any luck repairing it? If i could just tig it in place that would be much easier than pulling that monster trans with the lift its a PITA (tranny jack doesnt go that high).

Im just trying to get some ides of where to start looking Fuel Delivery, Fuel Injection, LPOS, HPOS, Electrical. To many areas to start throwing parts at it (Cant afford that anyway) and dont have enough 6 liter experience to know what to try. Need to try and get it fixed as soon as i can as my other vehicle 1988 ranger 4cyl 2.0 Lost 1-or 2 cylinders two weeks ago so now my and the wife have no vehicle.

Just want to say i love this forum so much good knowledge been lurking for years and have always found my solutions. So thank you for all your hard work. Also props to the Mods the run a nicely managed and laid out forum.

Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Last edited by 6.0literJosh; 01-04-2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Found some of the info
Old 01-04-2014, 03:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I was gonna tell you that you needed to get a monitor on that truck but when you whiped out the AE that kinda blew that boat out of the water. So Im gonna sit back and learn with you.
huck2080 likes this.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 PM

Im no 6.0l expert but i think your HPOP test shows a good place to start. truck wont fire without it working right!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree im just torn between LP and HP cause the truck will start only when the dummy gauge climbs under cranking then it starts right up. But im only getting in the high 300's when it doesnt start and jumps up 700-1400 when it does. So im lost on what to take apart first. Cant afford to throw parts at it. so i really would like to have an idea before going in you know.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there anyway to read the LP oil pressure on the AE?
Old 01-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I finally got the fitting i needed to do a HPOS leak test. How long should it take to hear a leak. I have the IPR set at 90% and my compressor which is 100psi pumped into it, so far im 5-6 min in and i dont hear any leaks. anything else i should try
Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump. Any Ideas?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you pulled the IPR valve to check for a damaged or missing screen?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Josh, I have same year and same symptoms., My problem is I have to cycle the key 3 times for it to stay fired.Once fired it runs perfect, but why I have to cycle the key 3 times is beyond me.Interested to see what you find out.Mine will sit at 314 psi on first crank then start then die,2nd cycle it just cranks,3rd cycle mine starts.Go figure.Almost to the point of just sayin the hell with it and getting a 6.7 or cummins.Just hate payments lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.