FICM, rebuild or replace - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool FICM, rebuild or replace

my ficm reads 45-48v while driving, with limited funds this time of year, what does one do?
A. do your own resoldier
B. send it out and have it rebuilt? if yes where?
C. buy new?

im not looking for performance, im fine with originality, im the type if i can not do the correct mods as a package, i dont do them

FICM Fixer
FICM Repair
Ron, lots of videos on youtube, get his from ebay
There is a guy here in San Diego that will do a rebuild for $200, sometime those backyard guys do exceptional work

i just want mine or one that is going to work correctly and last.

happy new year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

45-48 dosnt seem all that bad but I get it,some times it feels good to nip it in the bud.
Ed at ficmrepair.com does a awesome job. He has worked on ALOT of our ficm's and Im not sure Ive read one complaint yet.
And I know you say your not looking for performance but the one real cool thing I got with his Atlas 40 tune was a NICE bump in mpg's. And the truck just seemed to wake up and it just runs so much better.
Now if you got the bucks ,bullet proof diesel has some trick ficm's. They are spendy but its probably gonna be the last time you mess with the ficm. I am a major fan of these guys and cant say enough about them. If you get the $$$, Id say give them a call.
There is all sorts of info on here about the ficm and how to keep it healthy so Id say do you reading and go for it . Either way your gonna be happy.

Last edited by kinnisoj; 01-02-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: redo
Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 AM

thanks kinnisoj,
im told the ficm should never drop below 48.5, doing so is not good for the injectors over time. i have owned over 70 cars and trucks, i even had several 5.7 GM diesels, this 6.0 has left me stranded twice in less then 10k miles, first was dummy plugs, this last time was the screen on the ipr the broke loose and jammed it open. there is a long list of work done and what really sucks is it a stock truck, no mods mostly dealer maintained. **off soap box now** i have heard of ed, i sent a email about my options and the atlas 40 tune.

thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive talked to alot of the big boys in the 6.0 world and from what they have told me that around 46 volts is a good line to draw in the sand. Ed did my ficm and it stays mostly at 47.5 but will bump 47 at times for just a quicky.
You will be real suprised with that little atlas 40 tune. First thing I noticed is how much faster the truck started up. On a cold morning it was a night and day diffrence. And the I was very happy at how fast the turbo would spool up when leaving a stop light. And then for the icing on the cake a sweet boost in mpg's.
Good luck, if you get a chance throw a reveiw up after you get your ficm back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.